• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emancipation issues, Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Florida Parent

What is the name of your state? Florida

Lets start with the facts 3 children, 20, 18 and 16. Child Support order $200 per week, (not per child) The 20 year old and the 18 year old are legally emancipated, but since its not a per child order the entire $200 per week is still due. The order is from 1992 and only states 18 and does not mention graduation from HS at all.

Here's the problem, the 16 year old dropped out of school at 14 and had a baby. She is collecting welfare for her child and living a majority of the time at her boyfriends parents house. She is planning on getting her GED at the end of February and getting married next year. I would think since she is old enough to legally file for Welfare and get her own child support order, she shouldn;t be entitled to Child Support for herself. Now the question, What do you think my chances are in Florida courts of getting the child support stopped for this last child, based on the above information (or at least getting a downward modification)?

LdiJ

Florida Parent said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

Lets start with the facts 3 children, 20, 18 and 16. Child Support order $200 per week, (not per child) The 20 year old and the 18 year old are legally emancipated, but since its not a per child order the entire $200 per week is still due. The order is from 1992 and only states 18 and does not mention graduation from HS at all.

Here's the problem, the 16 year old dropped out of school at 14 and had a baby. She is collecting welfare for her child and living a majority of the time at her boyfriends parents house. She is planning on getting her GED at the end of February and getting married next year. I would think since she is old enough to legally file for Welfare and get her own child support order, she shouldn;t be entitled to Child Support for herself. Now the question, What do you think my chances are in Florida courts of getting the child support stopped for this last child, based on the above information (or at least getting a downward modification)?
I have no idea what your chances would be of getting it stopped. I think you would need a Florida attorney for that one.

However, I can tell you that your chances of getting it reduced depends entirely on your income level at this time. 17% of gross or 20% of net is the average child support amount for one child.

Florida Parent

it just seems to me that Im not supporting the kids anymore! On top of the Child Support Im paying for all the kids extra's which as a father I should do. The kids would like it stopped so I can help them out more, there mother refuses to give them anything and claims the child support pays nothing more than the rent.

topsidder

The determining factor, as I believe, is Florida's legal definition of emancipation. In a lot of states marriage is an emancipating event.

This is a simple fact to research yourself. Just go to google and type: Florida Code, or, Florida Age of Emancipation, or, Florida Emancipation law, or, well, you get the hint.

Good Luck, and if I was writing the opinion, you would no longer support a married mother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">