• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer did not send garnishment to state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bribritt

What is the name of your state? MS

We have moved here from Florida where my husband's child support order originates. The problem is an employer here in MS took the garnishment out of his check but did not forward the money to FL. We were not notified until several years later and now the business no longer exists. The state of FL now wants to garnish a large amount weekly to collect this when it was originally taken out of his check. Proof of garnishment has been shown to FL but they say it was his responsibility to make sure the company paid the state. What now?

LdiJ

bribritt said:
What is the name of your state? MS

We have moved here from Florida where my husband's child support order originates. The problem is an employer here in MS took the garnishment out of his check but did not forward the money to FL. We were not notified until several years later and now the business no longer exists. The state of FL now wants to garnish a large amount weekly to collect this when it was originally taken out of his check. Proof of garnishment has been shown to FL but they say it was his responsibility to make sure the company paid the state. What now?
You probably need to consult an attorney. I suspect that FL is correct on this one. I suspect that your cause of action would be against the employer rather than against the state. But please do consult an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">