• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

End of child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

racerx_00

What is the name of your state? I currently reside in North Carolina.

I am in the Air Force and was married/divorced in Great Falls, Montana. Out of that marriage (which lasted a year), my daughter was born, 31 May 88. Since then, I have been paying monthly child support payments and now my daughter has graduated from High School in Texas . She will turn 18 within a couple of days and is unsure as to whether she will join the military or start college full time Atthe moment she works part-time and currently resides with her mother. My divorce papers does not indicate an age as to when the child support will cease but does state.******"Petitioner agrees to pay respondent child support payments in the amount of $250.00 per month for the care of minor child\". What is the age limitation pertaining to this? Any info on this matter would be great!

BelizeBreeze

racerx_00 said:

I am in the Air Force and was married/divorced in Great Falls, Montana. Out of that marriage (which lasted a year), my daughter was born, 31 May 88. Since then, I have been paying monthly child support payments and now my daughter has graduated from High School in Texas . She will turn 18 within a couple of days and is unsure as to whether she will join the military or start college full time Atthe moment she works part-time and currently resides with her mother. My divorce papers does not indicate an age as to when the child support will cease but does state.******"Petitioner agrees to pay respondent child support payments in the amount of $250.00 per month for the care of minor child\". What is the age limitation pertaining to this? Any info on this matter would be great!
File a petition to terminate child support now per tex. fam. code §§ 154.001 et seq.

racerx_00

End of child Support? Continued...

I am informed to file a petition to terminate child support now per tex. fam. code §§ 154.001 et seq. BUT...what are the guidlines for Montana since the divorce took place there? :confused:

BelizeBreeze

racerx_00 said:
I am informed to file a petition to terminate child support now per tex. fam. code §§ 154.001 et seq. BUT...what are the guidlines for Montana since the divorce took place there? :confused:
what is your child doing graduating from a texas high school then?

racerx_00

After the divorce in Montana (1988), that is where my daughter and her mother has since resided (Texas) in while I traveled all over the world (military). :)

BelizeBreeze

Montana does not have jurisdiction as Texas is now home state.

File in Texas and if your ex contests you MAY have to file in Montana to ceed jurisdiction to Texas as Home state.

Ladymom

racerx_00 said:

Texas will have jurisdiction, however the catch is, the case has to be given up by Montana (transferred) and if Montana wanted to they could force it back to themselves. I was in a very similar situation, my ex was AF and my attorney had the case transferred from Fl. to Tx and it was easy from there. If the child is a full time student though, the court may extend the support. It might be a good thing for you too as you could possibly claim her as an exemption if you worked that out with mom. Moreover, as long as she is in school full time, she is covered under your military insurance and that would be good for her.
If you want the name of a Dallas attorney that has done this type of thing before, email me and I'll send you their name.
Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">