• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ending Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bsindiana

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My son will be turning 18 in February. My Divorce Decree reads "Child Support will be paid until the child reaches the age of twenty-one years or becomes emancipated, whichever first occurs." After my son turned 16, his mom allowed him to drop out of High School (although....they didn't go through any of the steps to drop out, he just quit going). He now holds a full time job, but still lives with his mom. Will I be able to get him emancipated when he turns 18 and how do I go about doing that if I can?

Thank you!

VeronicaGia

bsindiana said:

My son will be turning 18 in February. My Divorce Decree reads "Child Support will be paid until the child reaches the age of twenty-one years or becomes emancipated, whichever first occurs." After my son turned 16, his mom allowed him to drop out of High School (although....they didn't go through any of the steps to drop out, he just quit going). He now holds a full time job, but still lives with his mom. Will I be able to get him emancipated when he turns 18 and how do I go about doing that if I can?

Thank you!
I'm not sure, but I do not believe so. IN may define emancipated as living on his own and supporting himself without the help of anyone. Living with mom won't qualify.

However, hopefully someone with more knowledge of IN law will help out.

LdiJ

bsindiana said:

Thank you!
That is very iffy. I have seen some judges rule a child emancipated in that case, but for the most part emancipation means married, in the military, or living on their own and fully supporting themselves. If he enrolls in any kind of school before then it would cancel any possibility of emancipation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">