• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ending Child Support Oklahoma Divorce - Texas Enforcing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RonJohn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma (Divorce), Texas (Enforcing)

Next March DD turns 18 and will graduate H.S June 2013. The divorce was 12 years ago in Oklahoma, decree says NOTHING about ending C/S. I paid Ex directly via checks. Texas started enforcing child support 5 years ago shortly after they moved there. Now I send the checks to OAG TX. There was no 'Texas' court order and I was never behind in C/S. Sadly the relationship has deteriorated to little contact. I live in North Carolina, they have never been involved with anything involving my C/S.

Texas law says that I must pay until she graduates H.S. I don't want to just stop paying next June. What do I do to properly end C/S?

Ronny

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma (Divorce), Texas (Enforcing)

Next March DD turns 18 and will graduate H.S June 2013. The divorce was 12 years ago in Oklahoma, decree says NOTHING about ending C/S. I paid Ex directly via checks. Texas started enforcing child support 5 years ago shortly after they moved there. Now I send the checks to OAG TX. There was no 'Texas' court order and I was never behind in C/S. Sadly the relationship has deteriorated to little contact. I live in North Carolina, they have never been involved with anything involving my C/S.

Texas law says that I must pay until she graduates H.S. I don't want to just stop paying next June. What do I do to properly end C/S?

Ronny
Q: What happens to child support when my child turns 18 or graduates from high school?

Most Texas orders provide that a payor's obligation to pay child support ends when the only child or the youngest child turns 18 years of age, unless the child is still enrolled in high school. If the child is still enrolled in high school, then the obligation to pay child support continues until the child graduates.

IF:
Your child support is paid through income withholding,
THEN:
At least 45 days before the expected graduation date, you should contact the Domestic Relations Office to advise your Child Support Enforcement Officer of the expected graduation date. The Enforcement Officer will then review your case, notify the person receiving the child support on behalf of your child (i.e. the payee), and give the payee 15 days to respond to this notification.
http://www.co.travis.tx.us/dro/enforce_support.asp

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/cs/fieldoffices.php

RonJohn

I've always wondered about that too..

Since I've been dealing with Texas OAG they've always applied their rules to everything. Looking at the OK rules they sort of match up to the TX ones. I don't care whichever is greater. I just want Texas to stop enforcing someday.

Ronny

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">