• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ending support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brownwolf16

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law): CA

I pay child support directly to my sons mom, it is not a payroll deduction.
My question is, when can I stop?
When I google it, it says 18, graduated HS or 19.
He is supposed to graduate in a couple months, but his mom and stepdad arent pushing and he is failing half his classes.
I read the CA family code and it states completed high school, not graduated. My thinking is at the end of the school year he will complete HS, no matter if he graduates. Am i wrong?

Silverplum

He is supposed to graduate in a couple months, but his mom and stepdad arent pushing and he is failing half his classes.
I read the CA family code and it states completed high school, not graduated. My thinking is at the end of the school year he will complete HS, no matter if he graduates. Am i wrong?
Is it court-ordered support? Or do you pay by private agreement?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What have YOU been doing to push your child to complete HS? (And, no, if he doesn't graduate, then he hasn't completed it.)

Silverplum

What have YOU been doing to push your child to complete HS? (And, no, if he doesn't graduate, then he hasn't completed it.)
I was avoiding the strong possibility of being called names again, but wondered what Stepdad has to do with it.

Too caustic? ;)

Just Blue

Assuming you have a CO...What does it state? :confused:

Brownwolf16

I have a court order, but it does not state anything about it ending.
Yes, please turn your accusing finger at me, because I don't do ANYTHING to push him. He lives with them over an hour away and a barely see him. My opinion and advise means nothing, i am a paycheck.
Thanks for the great advice all, really.. It was a big help. smh!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, please turn your accusing finger at me, because I don't do ANYTHING to push him. He lives with them over an hour away and a barely see him. My opinion and advise means nothing, i am a paycheck.
Too bad you didn't push for more involvement in your child's life...smh!

Just Blue

How on EARTH was I "turning an accusing finger" at you? :confused:

I just asked you if you had a CO.

That you didn't do jack squat to help your child is on you and your conscience.

Brownwolf16

I was looking for serious help, not a bunch of TROLLS!
My conscience is just fine, because I did all I could.
Get a life!

Just Blue

All of the members that responded to your thread are SITE PROVEN NOT TROLLS. Actually "trolls" are banned. ALWAYS!! So...

You have a CO and it does not have a end date. (not quite nice enough to advise)....;)

Take the CO to an attorney and have him/her tell you how to stop Support.

:)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, friend, you pointed the finger at stepDad, who really has no responsibility to do anything with or for your child. The natural question would be what you have done to encourage the kid. The guys down the street would want to know why you live an hour from him (they always encourage Dads to move into the school district), and why you have allowed yourself to be marginalized.

Frankly, your concern about the money vs your lack of relationship with your son is troubling. Perhaps that's why you don't have one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">