• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Enforcement of Child support payments ->jail time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Schwippsy

:confused: What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I have a child support order in which the child support enforcement unit of IL is involved. The non custodial parent is well able to make payments, just does not want to. This person now owes over $10k and only makes $50 payments every 3 months so the drivers license cannot be taken, etc.
I was told by the enforcement unit that they do not issue warrant of arrest for non paying parents in the state of IL. Is that true? I hear other stories of folks that went to jail in IL, because of failing to pay child support.
What is true now and what are the details to get this person to catch up with the support order.

Thanks in advance for your insight and responses.

Gracie3787

:confused: What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I have a child support order in which the child support enforcement unit of IL is involved. The non custodial parent is well able to make payments, just does not want to. This person now owes over $10k and only makes $50 payments every 3 months so the drivers license cannot be taken, etc.
I was told by the enforcement unit that they do not issue warrant of arrest for non paying parents in the state of IL. Is that true? I hear other stories of folks that went to jail in IL, because of failing to pay child support.
What is true now and what are the details to get this person to catch up with the support order.

Thanks in advance for your insight and responses.
They are correct, no CSE agency in this country has the legal power to issue an arrest warrant. Only a Judge can do that.

What the CSE agency can and should do will be to file a contempt, or show cause motion to enforce the order. Then the matter will go to court, and at that time the Judge can issue a warrant.

Talk to your caseworker and request that they file ASAP to get the order enforced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">