• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Enforcement, Contempt, Jail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patsystone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

Apologies in advance for the length...

Have 2 children ages 21 and 12 whose father is currently in arrears of more than $57000. Have been fighting an uphill battle through the OAG for twenty years. Their father is a state licensed electrician who has spent the majority of the past 2 decades working as an "independent contractor" off the books, getting paid in cash and not paying his child support. He is not legally married to his current "wife" who he has lived with for over 12 years and with whom he has 3 children. All bank accounts, vehicles, assets and anything of value to which a lien could be placed is in her name only so therefore, off limits.

I spent all of 2014 trying to get the OAG to enforce the last order from 2006 and never got anywhere, as they had to utilize all the "Administrative Processes" available before filing a court action. His Electrician's License was up for renewal in Sept. 2014 and I had spent the 3 months prior trying to get the OAG to suspend his ability to renew it due to the arrears. A week before the renewal, he made a $16 payment, which the OAG felt was apparently sufficient for them to stop all suspension processes (if they had even begun them, as I was told).

We have been going around and around with this for far too long and he's got the game down. He has even gone so far as to tell me to my face that he has no intention of ever paying support and he knows that as long as he pays as little as $5 (which he has) the OAG will take it and stay off his back (which they have). It has worked all too well for him much to the detriment of my children and their lives as they have grown and gone without. Don't even get me started on the OAG saying I can go after his Social Security. He has to pay enough into it in the first place to even qualify to draw on it, (in another 25 years) and if he hasn't filed his IRS tax returns in 10 years because they intercepted his refund in 2005 for child support, I seriously doubt he'll file for SS just for it to go to anyone but him.

I eventually got fed up enough that this past January I sent a blast email to every elected official in my city, county, and state I could find. Got one State Senator to respond and upon his office's inquiry, magically and almost instantly I had an enforcement action filed and a court date set.

Went to the hearing that was on April 6th and Deadbeat showed up with his daddy (retired corporate exec who more than has the means to pay whatever necessary to keep his kid out of jail, mind you his son is now in 40's) and a private attorney paid for by said daddy. The private attorney requested the hearing be reset and said Deadbeat would make a $500 payment toward arrears that day (less than 1% of what's owed), make his weekly support payments until the next hearing and pay an additional $500 prior to the reset hearing on May 18th.

It has now been 30 days since that hearing and aside from the $500 he paid in court on April 6th, he has not paid another dime. Obviously he can afford an attorney and I can not.

He has gotten away with this so long that he knows he will face no punishment and get away with this yet again. The only way he will understand and believe in the gravity of his criminal non-support is if he actually faces jail time and to be honest, that's the only way I believe my kids will ever see any sort of support for my children.

I am just asking that someone familiar with Texas Family Law, specifically Tarrant County, for my best argument to persuade the judge that this should be the end.

He should be forced to pay or go to jail. No further argument should be necessary, but I'm scared he's going to get away with this again, especially since I'm going into this pro se and obviously no financial means for an attorney to represent me or my kids.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

Apologies in advance for the length...

Have 2 children ages 21 and 12 whose father is currently in arrears of more than $57000. Have been fighting an uphill battle through the OAG for twenty years. Their father is a state licensed electrician who has spent the majority of the past 2 decades working as an "independent contractor" off the books, getting paid in cash and not paying his child support. He is not legally married to his current "wife" who he has lived with for over 12 years and with whom he has 3 children. All bank accounts, vehicles, assets and anything of value to which a lien could be placed is in her name only so therefore, off limits.

I spent all of 2014 trying to get the OAG to enforce the last order from 2006 and never got anywhere, as they had to utilize all the "Administrative Processes" available before filing a court action. His Electrician's License was up for renewal in Sept. 2014 and I had spent the 3 months prior trying to get the OAG to suspend his ability to renew it due to the arrears. A week before the renewal, he made a $16 payment, which the OAG felt was apparently sufficient for them to stop all suspension processes (if they had even begun them, as I was told).

We have been going around and around with this for far too long and he's got the game down. He has even gone so far as to tell me to my face that he has no intention of ever paying support and he knows that as long as he pays as little as $5 (which he has) the OAG will take it and stay off his back (which they have). It has worked all too well for him much to the detriment of my children and their lives as they have grown and gone without. Don't even get me started on the OAG saying I can go after his Social Security. He has to pay enough into it in the first place to even qualify to draw on it, (in another 25 years) and if he hasn't filed his IRS tax returns in 10 years because they intercepted his refund in 2005 for child support, I seriously doubt he'll file for SS just for it to go to anyone but him.

I eventually got fed up enough that this past January I sent a blast email to every elected official in my city, county, and state I could find. Got one State Senator to respond and upon his office's inquiry, magically and almost instantly I had an enforcement action filed and a court date set.

Went to the hearing that was on April 6th and Deadbeat showed up with his daddy (retired corporate exec who more than has the means to pay whatever necessary to keep his kid out of jail, mind you his son is now in 40's) and a private attorney paid for by said daddy. The private attorney requested the hearing be reset and said Deadbeat would make a $500 payment toward arrears that day (less than 1% of what's owed), make his weekly support payments until the next hearing and pay an additional $500 prior to the reset hearing on May 18th.

It has now been 30 days since that hearing and aside from the $500 he paid in court on April 6th, he has not paid another dime. Obviously he can afford an attorney and I can not.

He has gotten away with this so long that he knows he will face no punishment and get away with this yet again. The only way he will understand and believe in the gravity of his criminal non-support is if he actually faces jail time and to be honest, that's the only way I believe my kids will ever see any sort of support for my children.

I am just asking that someone familiar with Texas Family Law, specifically Tarrant County, for my best argument to persuade the judge that this should be the end.

He should be forced to pay or go to jail. No further argument should be necessary, but I'm scared he's going to get away with this again, especially since I'm going into this pro se and obviously no financial means for an attorney to represent me or my kids.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice.
We do not write arguments for posters, nor do we provide referrals, and attorneys do not pick up clients here.

BTW, what are the odds that someone in one specific county is here and answering questions?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My ex owes me over $160,000 - I'll never see it. Sometimes you just have to accept it. I commend you for trying, but don't plan on receiving it.

patsystone

Well, aside from the vitriol that I have witnessed perusing this site, I have seen geographically specific answers to a multitude of questions.

I was not asking for a written argument PM'd to my inbox for use in court, however, someone with some expertise on the other side or maybe someone with a experience similar to mine might have something useful to offer.

This is called "FREEADVICE"...If I could retain an attorney, I certainly would not have been on this site in the first place and would have already had my questions answered.

I shall wait to see if someone else has something actually useful to offer.

Good day.

Zigner

Well, aside from the vitriol that I have witnessed perusing this site, I have seen geographically specific answers to a multitude of questions.

I was not asking for a written argument PM'd to my inbox for use in court, however, someone with some expertise on the other side or maybe someone with a experience similar to mine might have something useful to offer.

This is called "FREEADVICE"...If I could retain an attorney, I certainly would not have been on this site in the first place and would have already had my questions answered.

I shall wait to see if someone else has something actually useful to offer.

Good day.
Alrighty then

Zigner

I have to ask...how is it that you've been "fighting" with the OAG for 20 years, yet you have a 12 year old with him?

patsystone

A mistake of an attempted reconciliation. His stuff was on the curb as soon as I found out the woman who is his current "wife" was pregnant. 3 days later, I found out I was as well.

The reconciliation was the mistake, not my daughter.

At the time of my daughter's birth he owed $32000.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Do you have a timeline on when he has and has not paid?

If you do, I suggest you make a SUCCINCT one.

With that, you can show the actions from just the previous court date.

Show the action of the state (to suspend his license) and what he did (paid $16,) with no further payments.

You MUST ask for the jail time. If he claims a job (remember that he's claiming cash,) then ask that he be on a day release only so that all his weekends and nights are in JAIL.

Ask for Seek Work Order.

patsystone

Do you have a timeline on when he has and has not paid?

If you do, I suggest you make a SUCCINCT one.

With that, you can show the actions from just the previous court date.

Show the action of the state (to suspend his license) and what he did (paid $16,) with no further payments.

You MUST ask for the jail time. If he claims a job (remember that he's claiming cash,) then ask that he be on a day release only so that all his weekends and nights are in JAIL.

Ask for Seek Work Order.
Thank you TinkerBelle!

Yes, the enforcement action showed his entire payment (or lack thereof) history. And conveniently enough, at the April 6th court hearing he claimed he had just started a new job just the week before that was reportable to the state for wage garnishment. The representative from the OAG said they would expedite a Withholding Order and I should start receiving those payments in no more than 2 weeks. Obviously since they never began, I assume he's quit that job and back working under the table again.

I will make sure to have a timeline and make a full chart of anything and everything I can think of. Since the OAG told me they only plan to "slap him on the wrist" I will be sure to ask the judge that it be handcuffs that are slapped on!

Thanks again.

Zigner

Slow down there - if you have no PROOF of his income, then don't expect any cuffs to be slapped on anyone. He has to be willfully refusing to pay. If he has no (provable) income, then he's likely not going to jail.

Believe me, I do wish you the best...just don't get your hopes up.

patsystone

Slow down there - if you have no PROOF of his income, then don't expect any cuffs to be slapped on anyone. He has to be willfully refusing to pay. If he has no (provable) income, then he's likely not going to jail.

Believe me, I do wish you the best...just don't get your hopes up.
Then if he can't prove income, surely the judge will ask him how he supports his current family of 5 with a spouse that does not work. Has 2 newer model vehicles in her name, 3 children in a bevy of extracurricular activities, funds to pay for his license renewal...etc, etc, etc.

And if he has no provable income, why did he show with his private attorney rather than pleading indigence and asking for a court appointed attorney?

That argument isn't going to fly, or at least I hope the judge can see through it.

Zigner

Then if he can't prove income, surely the judge will ask him how he supports his current family of 5 with a spouse that does not work. Has 2 newer model vehicles in her name, 3 children in a bevy of extracurricular activities, funds to pay for his license renewal...etc, etc, etc.
That's not how it works. It's not up to the judge to ask anything.

And if he has no provable income, why did he show with his private attorney rather than pleading indigence and asking for a court appointed attorney?
You said it yourself...his father is paying for the attorney.

That argument isn't going to fly, or at least I hope the judge can see through it.
I wish you luck.

patsystone

That's not how it works. It's not up to the judge to ask anything.

You said it yourself...his father is paying for the attorney.

I wish you luck.
Then I will ask those questions myself in the presence of the judge.

As to his father (or whomever) paying for his attorney, that should be a consideration for the judge if he attempts to use the defense that he had no means to borrow or otherwise obtain the funds to pay his support as per the Texas Family Code. Obviously there are funds at his disposal from some source.

And I appreciate the wishes of luck. I feel it's time luck is on my side.

LdiJ

Then I will ask those questions myself in the presence of the judge.

As to his father (or whomever) paying for his attorney, that should be a consideration for the judge if he attempts to use the defense that he had no means to borrow or otherwise obtain the funds to pay his support as per the Texas Family Code. Obviously there are funds at his disposal from some source.

And I appreciate the wishes of luck. I feel it's time luck is on my side.
The reality of things is that if someone is truly determined not to pay child support, they never will, even if they end up in jail as a result. They don't care if they get in trouble with the IRS for never filing a tax return, they do not care if they never pay into social security therefore never have the ability to retire, they just do not care.

Look how stupid he is...he has all of his assets listed in the name of a woman he is NOT married to, who can simply take off on him and keep everything that he has. If someone is willing to be THAT stupid, its never going to be possible to collect from them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">