• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Enforcement of Judgment - Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kellyccz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I posted this in the civil litigation section also, as it applies to both that and the family law area. I am hoping someone can help me.

I recently obtained a judgment against an independent Franchisee Budget Movers business. The biological father of my children (who owes $37,000 in child support) was working there as an independent contractor. The Texas Attorney General served a wage withholding order on them when we found he was working there. They called and said he was an independent contractor so they didn't have to withhold. The AG office told them they were misinformed and that they DID have to withhold. They said they would do it, but of course, never did. Eventually, many months later, I hired an attorney there to go after them for violating the order. We went to court and got a judgment against them ($5,000) for the amount they should have withheld since receiving the order (about $2,500) and the judgment also included an award for my attorneys fees in the matter). The writ was issued and served by the sheriff but they refused to pay when the sheriff served them. The sheriff apparently told my attorney's legal assistant that the house where the business is located is a real dump. He is afraid there may be no assets to attach.

I am loathe, at this point, to pay a couple grand more in attorney's fees for debtor's exam, more investigation, etc. especially if I could still end up with no money.

At this point, I would LOVE to sell my judgment - and would be happy to just collect 50% of it, which would get me back the money I have forked out in attorney's fees.

Does anyone know of anyplace that would take a judgment for $5,000. I know this place has to have trucks, as it is a moving company, and a bank account from which they operate, so there are assets to collect. I am just tired of dealing with it and would be happy to recover my attorneys fees. I put out the money in the first place with the idea that we would get the judgment and I would get my money back. I'll just go back to letting the Attorney General go after my childrens' father for the child support.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">