• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Enforcing child support. Children over 18.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

selnpk3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

From my research Florida has no statute of limitations for child support arrears. What is the likely hood of getting a judgement for roughly 30,000.00 from before the children turned 18? Dad had custody until children moved to Texas at 17 and 18 years old. Mom still lives in Texas. Dad in FL. Would the child support office be the ones to help?

Thank you for any help.

I'mTheFather

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

From my research Florida has no statute of limitations for child support arrears. What is the likely hood of getting a judgement for roughly 30,000.00 from before the children turned 18? Dad had custody until children moved to Texas at 17 and 18 years old. Mom still lives in Texas. Dad in FL. Would the child support office be the ones to help?

Thank you for any help.
This is a little confusing. Who are you in this? Who owes who? Was there a court order for that 30K amount?

Arrears can only be pursued if there was a child support order in place and the payor failed to make payments in full and on time. If there was no order to pay, then there are no arrears. Even if an order was sought now, the judge will only enforce the order back to when the other party was served.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, to be clear, if there IS a court order in place for the $30k already, then there is no additional judgment required...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">