• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Enforcing Payment of Child Support When Parents Live in Different States

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CheshireCat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia. Hi. I have custody of my two children and we have resided in Georgia for a few years now. I was divorced 5 years ago in TX. My ex-husband lives in MS. He has not paid child support for several months and owes a significant amount of missed payments from the past 5 years. In which state should I go about obtaining a lawyer and filing a court motion to enforce payments or to have his wages garnished? Thank you for any additional information you can provide.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia. Hi. I have custody of my two children and we have resided in Georgia for a few years now. I was divorced 5 years ago in TX. My ex-husband lives in MS. He has not paid child support for several months and owes a significant amount of missed payments from the past 5 years. In which state should I go about obtaining a lawyer and filing a court motion to enforce payments or to have his wages garnished? Thank you for any additional information you can provide.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Which state was made the order?

SIN EATER

Go to your state Child Support Enforcement:
Home

They will register the order and can also file to modify the order.

The Texas order is the controlling order, but there is no court of Continuing Exclusive Jurisdiction, as no party continues to live in Texas.

Under UIFSA, your state should send the order with a request to modify to ex's state (MS).
That state will become the one w/CEJ and the new order will be per MS law.

This also allows MS to suspend ex's licenses (driver's, etc.) for non-payment.
You will probably have to complete an affidavit of direct payments to accompany the order, as they will confirm the amount of arrears due.

All services are free to you.
The gov agencies do not move fast, but they will get the job done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">