• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Error in final divorce papers.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rhonda Klotz

In 2002 my divorce became final in the state of Washington. I was awarded custody of my son, age 11. Prior to divorce papers being filed I moved to California with my son. Ultimately the case was heard and decided in the state of Washington. My ex-husband and I both retained lawyers. When I received the final divorce papers my lawyer went through them with me. Satisfied with the outcome I signed them. In the final divorce decree there was a serious error that was overlooked by my lawyer and I. It stated that I had custody, which was my main concern, but it stated that I was to pay the child support to my ex-husband. WOOOOPS!!!! This error wasn’t brought to my attention until the office of Support Enforcement of the state of Washington contacted me for my first child support payment. You can imagine my surprise and theirs as well. It was obvious it was in error. Washington Support Enforcement said they could do nothing until the papers where corrected.
At the time of my divorce, I was in a financial situation where I didn’t need child support from my ex-husband, so I didn’t pursue the correction. My financial situation has taken a 180 degree turn; the child support is very much needed at this time. My question is; How do I correct this situation with the courts? Can I myself submit paperwork to the courts to correct this matter? (The divorce was final in Washington State, I reside in California)
BoldBold

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">