• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Establishing Child Support Order/Incarcerated NCP - Ga & WI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wats6484

What is the name of your state? Georgia
My child's father went to prison a month before she was born. There is no child support order. He has acknowledged paternity and when he got out he even paid $200 however he went back into prison. Previously, i just supported her on my own. However, i have run into some financial difficulties. I heard that his other child receives a very small child support amount and that soon he will be reduced to minimum security and be able to make a little bit of money on some type of work release/half day program. My child was born in Georgia and i live in Georgia. He is in a Wisconsin prison. The Wisconsin CSE office referred me to Georgia. Georgia Child Support Enforcement will not pursue a child support order until he is out of prison which won't be until January 2009. GA CSE suggests a private attorney. Well, i am sure that the monies i would get for child support would not warrant a private attorney but i would like to make sure that he could pay an arrearage amount when he gets out and/or start paying when he gets reduced to minimum security. Any advice on this situation.

Silverplum

wats6484 said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia
My child's father went to prison a month before she was born. There is no child support order. He has acknowledged paternity and when he got out he even paid $200 however he went back into prison. Previously, i just supported her on my own. However, i have run into some financial difficulties. I heard that his other child receives a very small child support amount and that soon he will be reduced to minimum security and be able to make a little bit of money on some type of work release/half day program. My child was born in Georgia and i live in Georgia. He is in a Wisconsin prison. The Wisconsin CSE office referred me to Georgia. Georgia Child Support Enforcement will not pursue a child support order until he is out of prison which won't be until January 2009. GA CSE suggests a private attorney. Well, i am sure that the monies i would get for child support would not warrant a private attorney but i would like to make sure that he could pay an arrearage amount when he gets out and/or start paying when he gets reduced to minimum security. Any advice on this situation.
I just don't see how you could do this in the way you're imagining. CS is based upon income. He has none, or next to none. His arrearages would be negligible, as would the CS. The money you'd spend on an attorney, as you've already gathered, would far exceed what you'd get.

I'd wait for GA CSE, and for Dad to get out of prison and, hopefully, for him to get a job. Or you could file pro-se, using the GA CSE and courts websites to file the forms. Then you might get those tiny arrearages going.

fairisfair

wats6484 said:
Thank you for the website and info
you are very welcome, sorry I don't know more that will help you, but I wouldn't give up just yet, keep trying GA CSE, never take the first person's word at one of these agencies for anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">