• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Establishing Paternity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dfeland

What is the name of your state? Texas
My husband of 4 years just got a notice from Oklahoma State concerning child support. It turns out a woman he dated 10-11 years ago had a couple of babies and is claiming he is the father. Of course, we requested a paternity test for 1 of the two since the boy is only 3 years old there is no chance of him being my husbands child. The girl is 9 years old so there is a slim chance that she could be his. Should we also establish paternity on the boy even though we are 100% sure he is not my husbands? And also, if the girl turns out to be my husband's child, can we fight for custody of this girl? Also, is my husband responsible for back child support since he never knew anything about this child?

nextwife

Deny paternity of BOTH children if he is named as the potential father! Else he will be made the father by default.

IF she recieved welfare and the child(ren) turn out to be his, he will be made responsible to pay back the state. If it is just she asking for CS, it will be from date of filing.

If the child is his, by all means file for a vistation schedule and try for joint legal custody. As they are strangers, time together will likely be transitioned in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">