• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evading Service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dianas1086

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have an 8 year old daughter. In 2010 I first attempted to get child support established with her father. The case was dismissed due to him not being able to get served. I reapplied in 2013 and again nothing is being done about it because they can't even locate an address for him. He either does not work or works under the table. He still resides in Florida as far as I know. I don't have any communication with him. I have a feeling that the first time they tried serving him he was evading service by either not answering the door or moving to another location. What are my options? I'm frustrated I feel like he found a loop hole in the system and is getting away with it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have an 8 year old daughter. In 2010 I first attempted to get child support established with her father. The case was dismissed due to him not being able to get served. I reapplied in 2013 and again nothing is being done about it because they can't even locate an address for him. He either does not work or works under the table. He still resides in Florida as far as I know. I don't have any communication with him. I have a feeling that the first time they tried serving him he was evading service by either not answering the door or moving to another location. What are my options? I'm frustrated I feel like he found a loop hole in the system and is getting away with it.
Find him and properly serve him yourself.

*YOU* can't hand him the documents, but you can have a friend over the age of 18 do it, or you can hire a private process server to do it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Find him and properly serve him yourself.

*YOU* can't hand him the documents, but you can have a friend over the age of 18 do it, or you can hire a private process server to do it.
The "friend" has to actually be made a process server through the courts.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The "friend" has to actually be made a process server through the courts.
Thanks for setting me straight :)

In this case, I retract my suggestion of a friend doing the service, but will continue to suggest that the OP hire a private process server.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks for setting me straight :)

In this case, I retract my suggestion of a friend doing the service, but will continue to suggest that the OP hire a private process server.
Just for more information:
http://www.serve-now.com/resources/become-process-server/florida

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">