• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex avoiding service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blackbettybamf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS

I was in a serious relationship beginning in late 2008. Things were fantastic until I caught him with drugs in February of 2009 and moved out of our apartment. A few weeks later, I found out I was pregnant. For a week or so, he kept assuring me we would "talk about it", but talking about it turned into him insisting I have an abortion which I chose not to. He contacted me and threatened me several times throughout the course of my pregnancy and went so far as to deny the baby was his. He was in jail when she was born in November of last year. He started messaging me trying to be friends in January of this year, which I chose not to accept. I had filed child support papers and they were extremely behind so it took several months before they could meet with me in March-ish of this year. For a really long time, I heard nothing. Flash forward to July of this year, he texts me and asks if I had child support papers served on him. I chose not to answer his question and asked him to leave me alone. He threatened to fight me for custody and once again, I asked him to leave me alone. About 2 weeks ago, I get a letter in the mail stating that they are unable to locate him. After speaking with my child support enforcement agent, she informed me that they sent a certified letter which he refused to pick up and that he has no other open CSE cases and is obviously avoiding service. I don't know how they have been unable to locate him as I have given his place of employment and his schedule - furthermore, I did an employee verification on him myself. How do I get him served?

Additionally, I was wondering if this text message regarding whether or not I had him served would hold up as proof of avoiding service in court and how that would affect his chances of shared custody? I don't want my daughter around him without my supervision because he has said on multiple occasions that he wants nothing to do with her and I don't trust him to treat her right.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS

I was in a serious relationship beginning in late 2008. Things were fantastic until I caught him with drugs in February of 2009 and moved out of our apartment. A few weeks later, I found out I was pregnant. For a week or so, he kept assuring me we would "talk about it", but talking about it turned into him insisting I have an abortion which I chose not to. He contacted me and threatened me several times throughout the course of my pregnancy and went so far as to deny the baby was his. He was in jail when she was born in November of last year. He started messaging me trying to be friends in January of this year, which I chose not to accept. I had filed child support papers and they were extremely behind so it took several months before they could meet with me in March-ish of this year. For a really long time, I heard nothing. Flash forward to July of this year, he texts me and asks if I had child support papers served on him. I chose not to answer his question and asked him to leave me alone. He threatened to fight me for custody and once again, I asked him to leave me alone. About 2 weeks ago, I get a letter in the mail stating that they are unable to locate him. After speaking with my child support enforcement agent, she informed me that they sent a certified letter which he refused to pick up and that he has no other open CSE cases and is obviously avoiding service. I don't know how they have been unable to locate him as I have given his place of employment and his schedule - furthermore, I did an employee verification on him myself. How do I get him served?

Additionally, I was wondering if this text message regarding whether or not I had him served would hold up as proof of avoiding service in court and how that would affect his chances of shared custody? I don't want my daughter around him without my supervision because he has said on multiple occasions that he wants nothing to do with her and I don't trust him to treat her right.
The text message is probably useless - and fighting over it would cost you more than just getting him served.

Hire a private process server. If you know his place of employment and schedule, they should be able to serve him fairly easily.

I don't see where you said if he has any sort of visitation with the child.

My ex came back unable to locate as well - so I informed OCSE that he was at my house every Wed. and EOW picking the girls up.

They served him in front of my own house.

(And no, the children did not see, I "delayed" them for a few minutes, but not that it mattered because he cussed me up one side and down the other for even thinking about hitting him with contempt for 6 months of nonpayment during the whole visitation from what my daughter's said.)

Last edited:

blackbettybamf

He has no visitation, he has never met her or made any attempt to see her, in fact, he claims he wants nothing to do with her and I have e-mails, Facebook messages, voicemails, and text messages all stating such.

I guess my question is less about child support and more about visitation.

mistoffolees

He has no visitation, he has never met her or made any attempt to see her, in fact, he claims he wants nothing to do with her and I have e-mails, Facebook messages, voicemails, and text messages all stating such.

I guess my question is less about child support and more about visitation.
Well, if he's made no effort to see the child and there are no court orders, that's pretty much a moot point.

ecmst12

If he DOES want to get to know his child, you should be happy that she will be able to have a relationship with her father, and you should absolutely encourage it. That is the custodial parent's job.

blackbettybamf

He is threatening to fight for visitation but only if he has to pay child support.

I don't mind him having visitation but only supervised because I don't trust that he will treat her right. He doesn't want to see her because he wants to see his daughter or he would've already come to see her. It's revenge on me he wants.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He is threatening to fight for visitation but only if he has to pay child support.

I don't mind him having visitation but only supervised because I don't trust that he will treat her right. He doesn't want to see her because he wants to see his daughter or he would've already come to see her. It's revenge on me he wants.
He may start with supervised visitation but most likely that will be very short term and THEN he will be able to have more visitation.

Its revenge on you? Don't count on that. Any more than you HAVING the baby was a way to get "revenge" on him for not being the person you thought.

LdiJ

Well...as long as he is dodging service on a child support case, he is NOT going to file for visitation or custody. So custody or visitation is a moot point until or unless he actually gets served for child support.

However, its not at all unusual for someone to file for custody right after getting hit up for child support, and judges are well aware of that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">