• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex is a daycare provider, claiming childcare expenses for children attending school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KurdApe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

My ex and I have been divorced for 2.5 years. She has custody of my two children. Her profession is running a daycare in her home with spots for up to 6 children.

While my children were younger, she claimed daycare expenses for my two children even though they stayed at home. Essentially they count as two heads in her daycare. By having my two children at home she is sacrificing potential income that would be gained by having two other clients.

That's all fine. But the problem is, now the children are in school (ages 7 and 5). Since spousal maintenance has ended, she is filing an order to modify the child support and is still claiming daycare expenses for my children who attend school.

That doesn't make sense and doesn't seem fair. If she had a regular job she would not be paying childcare expenses.

Can she do this?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

My ex and I have been divorced for 2.5 years. She has custody of my two children. Her profession is running a daycare in her home with spots for up to 6 children.

While my children were younger, she claimed daycare expenses for my two children even though they stayed at home. Essentially they count as two heads in her daycare. By having my two children at home she is sacrificing potential income that would be gained by having two other clients.

That's all fine. But the problem is, now the children are in school (ages 7 and 5). Since spousal maintenance has ended, she is filing an order to modify the child support and is still claiming daycare expenses for my children who attend school.

That doesn't make sense and doesn't seem fair. If she had a regular job she would not be paying childcare expenses.

Can she do this?
Yes she would. She'd be paying for before and/or after school care and daycare during the summer while she worked. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">