• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex GF says shes pregnant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

holyhell5

What is the name of your state? Florida
I recently broke up with my girlfriend. 2 weeks later she says shes pregnant, shes keeping it, and is going to get child support from me. I have 100 reasons not to believe her. She refuses to show me test results and never wants to see me again. Do I have the legal right to see proof she is pregnant? If it turns out she lied the whole time, is she breaking any law?

thanks
severely stressed out student.

LdiJ

holyhell5 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
I recently broke up with my girlfriend. 2 weeks later she says shes pregnant, shes keeping it, and is going to get child support from me. I have 100 reasons not to believe her. She refuses to show me test results and never wants to see me again. Do I have the legal right to see proof she is pregnant? If it turns out she lied the whole time, is she breaking any law?

thanks
severely stressed out student.
No, she wouldn't be breaking any laws. No you don't have any legal right to see proof that she is pregnant. In a few months when she starts showing (if she is pregnant) you will have your proof then.

You will also have the right to have a DNA test done to determine whether or not you are the father, if she does have a baby.

holyhell5

So there is nothing I can do other then wait? The main reason I doubt her is that she has lied bout this before with others and this is too serious a question to leave unanswered for 9 months. Also, since she says the child is mine, dont I have a say in her seeing a doctor to insure the childs health during the pregnancy?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Until the child is born and you are proven to be the father - you have no rights at all. Zip, zero, nada. And darlin' - next time choose a better partner than someone who's lied before about being pregnant.

one word. condoms. a beautiful invention.

Unfortunately, this is an old trick used by many a teenage (and adult) girl scorned by her man. Usually used in an attempt to maintain a relationship with the guy. By the way, before anyone gets huffy - I'm a girl. While I never played that game, I've definitely known a few who have. It's disgusting that people still do this, and I don't blame you for being suspect, especially with the announcement coming right after a break up.

Wait it out, limit your contact with her - otherwise you'll just help her continue the charade. If she isn't pregnant, once she realizes that she can't get you back, most likely it will "go away".

If she is pregnant, after the baby is born establich paternity and do what you gotta do.

Good luck.

S

seniorjudge

holyhell5 said:
...The main reason I doubt her is that she has lied bout this before with others...
How long have you known this?

Phnx02

stealth2 said:
Until the child is born and you are proven to be the father - you have no rights at all. Zip, zero, nada. And darlin' - next time choose a better partner than someone who's lied before about being pregnant.
Stealth: You always say it so good.....straight to the point!

holyhell5

Just an update.
Turns out she WAS lying. I was pulling my hair out for over a month until she accidently let her lies get too tangled. Everyone's telling me I should take her to civil court for the hell she put me through. Im not going to but is it possible for me to do that?
(I do realize the question is not entirely relavant to the catagory)

P.S. thanks for all of the advice folks, especially newlywed03

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
holyhell5 said:
Just an update.
Turns out she WAS lying. I was pulling my hair out for over a month until she accidently let her lies get too tangled. Everyone's telling me I should take her to civil court for the hell she put me through. Im not going to but is it possible for me to do that?
No, you can't do that. What "damages" have you suffered? A few weeks of stress? That's called life. Move on.

S

seniorjudge

holyhell5 said:
Just an update.

Everyone's telling me I should take her to civil court for the hell she put me through. Im not going to but is it possible for me to do that?
Who is everyone and where did he/she/they go to law school?

Gracie3787

Word of caution

holyhell5 said:
Just an update.

Just a word of caution- once a liar, always a liar- once baby is born you should make dam sure that she has SOMEONE, other than you proven to be the bio dad by DNA/court order.
IF she comes after you, even 10, 15 years from now: INSIST ON A DNA TEST.

My advice - just stay the hell away from her! She played this game on you once already - don't give her a second chance. What is it they say - "fool me once - shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me".

Move on, don't even think about suing her (there's nothing you can sue her for anyway), and learn from this adventure.

Good luck! :)

Rushia

Just consider this a lesson well learned, and in the future...Stay away from this girl and remember to use condoms, they can save you from more than an unwanted pregnancy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">