• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex giving daughter $2,000 for car, but owes me $2,950 back support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2Mistakes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MS

My exwife is giving our 17 year old daughter $2,000 towards buying a car. Which is great (I am, too) and I would have no problem with it IF she didn't owe me $2,950 in back child support.

My thought is that she needs to pay her CS obligation before "unnecessaries."

So is this a case of "mom can do whatever she wants with her money and it's none of my business" or is there something I could/should do?

Thanks!

TinkerBelleLuvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MS

My exwife is giving our 17 year old daughter $2,000 towards buying a car. Which is great (I am, too) and I would have no problem with it IF she didn't owe me $2,950 in back child support.

My thought is that she needs to pay her CS obligation before "unnecessaries."

So is this a case of "mom can do whatever she wants with her money and it's none of my business" or is there something I could/should do?

Thanks!
Wont' get her out of the arrears :D nice gesture mom, but you still owe dad :D

Personally, let her give her the money and THEN hit her for the arrears :D But then, my alternate mode of transportation is a broom.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why don't you have mom give YOU the $2,000 as payment towards CS and then YOU give $4,000 to kiddo?

2Mistakes

Wont' get her out of the arrears :D nice gesture mom, but you still owe dad :D

Personally, let her give her the money and THEN hit her for the arrears :D But then, my alternate mode of transportation is a broom.
(I sent you a PM, Tink.)

I've avoided filing for contempt bc I didn't want to rock the boat, but I'm starting to think I have no other choice.

She accidentally emailed me pay stubs showing that she makes $10k+ per month. I'm thinking that coupled with proof that she gave daughter $2k for a car would definitely show a wilful lack of paying. That $2k would go a long ways towards the arrears and would definitely help out right now, as I have lots of expenses coming up for the kids with back-to-school stuff.

She's already pissed at me anyways bc the kids have to come home 2 days early so I can take the 2 high schoolers to registration tomorrow. (Yeah, it's my fault they have to register tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Actually they're coming home on the day they are supposed to according to the order (they are supposed to be home 1 week prior to school starting, and school starts August 4th.) But I had agreed that she could keep them til Sunday since she could only get them 1 week this summer.

So I guess I might as well go for it while she's already mad.

2Mistakes

Why don't you have mom give YOU the $2,000 as payment towards CS and then YOU give $4,000 to kiddo?
I really need to use the arrears for expenses for all 3 kids. I want to keep the child support I'm owed and the money I'm giving daughter towards a car seperate.

I also had some expenses for the kids during the time she wasn't paying that I had to put on credit card, and I will be using a portion of the arrears (if/when I get it) to pay off those charges.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I really need to use the arrears for expenses for all 3 kids. I want to keep the child support I'm owed and the money I'm giving daughter towards a car seperate.

I also had some expenses for the kids during the time she wasn't paying that I had to put on credit card, and I will be using a portion of the arrears (if/when I get it) to pay off those charges.
No worries - and no judgement about how you choose to use the CS money that's owed to you (I've said it before - if I ever see all that's due me, I'm buying an airplane)

2Mistakes

No worries - and no judgement about how you choose to use the CS money that's owed to you (I've said it before - if I ever see all that's due me, I'm buying an airplane)
LOL. Airplane sounds good!

I had actually considered your suggestion but decided I wanted to keep it all seperate.

ETA: knowing her as well as I do, she wouldn't give the money to me anyways.

Last edited:

2Mistakes

3K behind? Count yourself lucky ! She will pay you sooner or later ...

What can't the girl pay for her own car??
"The girl" via her part-time job, has saved almost $3k for her car. Because she is a great kid, has maintained a 4.0 in honors classes while working and still doing her chores and helping out with her siblings, I had already decided to chip in $2k.

Proserpina

"The girl" via her part-time job, has saved almost $3k for her car. Because she is a great kid, has maintained a 4.0 in honors classes while working and still doing her chores and helping out with her siblings, I had already decided to chip in $2k.

We know - you don't have to justify YOUR actions to anyone here :) :cool:

2Mistakes

We know - you don't have to justify YOUR actions to anyone here :) :cool:
:)

I'm starting to think that her mom saying she was giving her money for a car was just lip service anyways. When daughter talked to her about it tonight, ex was pretty sketchy about it and said she's not sure if/when she was giving her the money. Which is fine. Daughter will buy a car within the budget of what she can afford between what she's saved and what I'm chipping in. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">