• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Husband is hiding behind new wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luckymarch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I can't seem to find an answer as to what can be done.

My Ex-Husband (former police officer turned freeloader) has a Florida court order to pay child support (a very reasonable amount) that he is severely delinquent on. He moved away to Georgia. He has been with the new wife since 2004 and they married in 2012. Since then, they have put ALL of their property solely in her name. Since she makes a very good salary, he does not work and she supports him. He has a small business but most income is "under the table".

Since everything is in her name, I am curious what actions Florida can take? I don't expect her to pay HIS support but she should not be supporting him hiding from his $350 obligation to his child. Florida Child Support Enforcement is not very helpful.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My Ex-Husband (former police officer turned freeloader) has a Florida court order to pay child support (a very reasonable amount) that he is severely delinquent on. He moved away to Georgia. He has been with the new wife since 2004 and they married in 2012. Since then, they have put ALL of their property solely in her name. Since she makes a very good salary, he does not work and she supports him. He has a small business but most income is "under the table".

Since everything is in her name, I am curious what actions Florida can take? I don't expect her to pay HIS support but she should not be supporting him hiding from his $350 obligation to his child. Florida Child Support Enforcement is not very helpful.
You have never been a SAHM?

Florida can criminally charge him with failure to pay if they so choose.

luckymarch

You have never been a SAHM?

Florida can criminally charge him with failure to pay if they so choose.
Never been a SAHM. I have always worked since I was 15. I have sent Florida all of his information and all they send is a notice to him that it is being reported on his credit report.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

If someone is truly determined not to pay child support, then they aren't going to pay it. It's an unfortunate reality.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Agreed. What is the total you are owed Zig? 150k?:(
$164K-ish

On the upside - I recently discovered that she actually got a real job recently. And, on that note, do IRS tax intercepts need to be re-filed every year, or is it a once filed, always active type of thing?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
$164K-ish

On the upside - I recently discovered that she actually got a real job recently. And, on that note, do IRS tax intercepts need to be re-filed every year, or is it a once filed, always active type of thing?
I think every year. CSEA usually does that here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">