• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-husband is trying to quit paying child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SingleMominNM

What is the name of your state?NM

My ex-husband has stopped paying child support for our 16 year old daughter. I have been trying to get her enrolled in an online school and he says he will not pay the child support if she's not attending a school. Can he quit paying the child support because he doesn't like the situation she's in?

NotSoNew

no he cant just quit paying CS because he doesnt like the school she is going to

but an online HS? does he have joint legal custody? if so he does have say in where she goes to school but he still has to pay CS

SingleMominNM

We do have joint custody, this online school was his idea due to some problems our daughter was having in regular classes. And so I don't think it's because of the type of school she'll be studying with, I think it's the fact that she is not in a classroom. He also has some health problems that he trying to push in front of the child support. I guess I just needed to know if it was legal for him to with hold child support because she is not registered in traditional classes...

SingleMominNM said:
I guess I just needed to know if it was legal for him to with hold child support because she is not registered in traditional classes...
NO! As long as there is a court order on the books, he's obligated to pay it until it's modified and signed by a judge!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">