• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex keeps claiming child on her taxes.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jvg29

What is the name of your state? Indiana

This is my year to claim my daughter acording to our divorce settlement. My ex claimed her in 2003 on her 2002 taxes even though it was my year. The prosecutor said there wasn't anything he could do about it. How can I stop her from doing this to me again this year?

jvg29

my ex is self employed. I still have to wait for my W-2's. Is there any motion I can file with the court to keep her from doing this without being in contempt of court?

Phnx02

Soon as you get your W-2, file electronicly asap...claiming your child. The IRS will flag both you and your ex's returns since both parents cannot claim the child at the same time. Then you can show them your proof that you get the exemption. I know this is kinda taking a chance this way....but it may work in your favor without having the extra expense of going to court about it.

LdiJ

Ok...let me clarify a few things.

If you have been faithfully paying your child support, and if you have a court order stating that this is your year to have the exemption, most likely the IRS will honor that.

What will happen is that whoever files first will be able to file electronically. Whoever files second will have to file a paper return, because the return will get rejected electronically.

Your returns will be processed normally (at least if the IRS follows the same proceedures that they have the last two years...there is no 100% guarantee that they will do that). Then later in the year you will both recieve a letter regarding the double claiming of the exemption and they will enourage the person who claimed incorrectly to amend their return.

If no one amends their return then they will start asking for proof. Here is where there is a slight chance that it could get tricky for you. You see, the state court judge really doesn't have the authority to make orders regarding the tax exemption, even though they do. The IRS regs actually rule on that issue. Therefore the IRS is free to rule in mom's favor if the IRS determines that you did not provide more than 50% of the child's support.

Like I said though, the IRS normally honors the state court orders, therefore they are unlikely to do that unless you have arrearages...you just need to be aware that it could happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">