• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex lost job, does support automatically change?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CATZI

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My ex-husband and I originally agreed on a child support payment instead of going through the court-system. He had what we thought to be a stable job and we actually agreed on something, so we had the papers drawn up. Around Christmas-time of last year, he "hit bottom" with a drug/alcohol problem that he did a decent job of hiding from everybody for years**************... and was suspended from his job for 5 weeks - meaning I got no support payments during that time. He went back to work and told me he would arrange to make up for the unpaid support - he never did. In April, he was fired from his job and hasn't been working - or paying me any support - since. His vehicle was reposessed, he owes thousands on credit cards, utilities, etc. He recently sold his mobile home (since he's living with his parents free of charge) and hasn't paid me anything.
This is what our papers say about modifying the support payments:
"Husband hereby agrees to pay Wife the sum of X for child support, which shall not be subject to any type of adjustment for a period of 3 years unless a substantial change in Husband's financial circumstances should occur during that time period. Following the 3 year time period, child support shall be subject to modification either by mutual agreement of the parties or by the Order of Court following petition of either party."
He and I disagree on what that actually means - he thinks it means that if he has a change in his financial status, that he can decide to not pay. I read it to say that if he has a change in his finances, he can petition to have it changed**************.... and he still owes the money we agreed on until it is formally changed.
Any thoughts on what it means, what I should do now, when I do what, etc**************..... If I do nothing, does he continue to owe or is he right and since he has no income he doesn't have to pay or does he only owe for the 5 weeks that he could have made up for when he had his job back?
I'm so confused, and my daughter has just become one more of his creditors - and it's not fair! I still abide by the visitation portion of our paperwork, but I'm currently cutting back his time to the bare minimum.
Any help would be greatly appreciated - I've never been in this situation before and want to do right by my daughter - I was left with a very large mortgage, bills, etc, and it's hard for us to get by (but I guess that's most of the situations here).
Thanks!!!
Pam

Silverplum

CATZI said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I'm so confused, and my daughter has just become one more of his creditors - and it's not fair! I still abide by the visitation portion of our paperwork, but I'm currently cutting back his time to the bare minimum. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I've never been in this situation before and want to do right by my daughter - I was left with a very large mortgage, bills, etc, and it's hard for us to get by (but I guess that's most of the situations here).Thanks!!!Pam
Child support and parenting time/visitation are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

You are not "renting" your child out to her father. He is not "paying rent" in order to see her.

This is disgusting.:(

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ummm.. No. Child support is not automatically modified and CSEA is probably adding up arrears if the payments go through CSEA. And he is not able to discharge that in bankruptcy.

NotSoNew

no it doesnt automatically change, he still owes you for all of the time he has not paid. and like Ohio said its cannot be discharged in a bankruptcy. But since he is claiming BK it seems obvious hes in financial distress here and trying to get back on his feet. It doesnt seem like he HAS the money and just doesnt want to pay you or he wouldnt be getting his vehicles repossed etc. perhaps you two can come to some sort of agreement.

NotSoNew

fairisfair said:
Okay, now I am confused too, where does she ever say that he is in bankruptcy???

hmmm your right she doesnt. i assumed he was when i saw Ohio mention it! sorry, my mistake.

CATZI

There is no bankruptcy involved - he just has no job and owes everybody. The rules to file are tougher in PA now, so I doubt that would happen. He's content to pay no one.
And when it comes to me changing the visitiation, I'm not breaching the contract we signed by only taking her over there once every two weeks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
NotSoNew said:
hmmm your right she doesnt. i assumed he was when i saw Ohio mention it! sorry, my mistake.
Only mentioned it because she went on about his dire financial straits. Figured that might be coming up the pike as another question and I would save the trouble of it being asked.

GrowUp!

fairisfair said:
Okay, now I am confused too, where does she ever say that he is in bankruptcy???
In many instances if one is unemployed for a long period of time and bills start piling up, collection agencies are calling and your house and/or car are about to be foreclosed/repo'd, bankruptcy is something that is given major consideration and many people believe that CS is dischargeable in bankruptcy proceedings.
Only one type of cs collection is dischargeable in bankruptcy.

GrowUp!

CATZI said:
The rules to file are tougher in PA now, so I doubt that would happen. He's content to pay no one.
The rules are tougher EVERYWHERE now, effective Oct 2005. It doesn't matter if one lives in PA, OH or CA.

And when it comes to me changing the visitiation, I'm not breaching the contract we signed by only taking her over there once every two weeks.
If this "contract" isn't a court order signed by a Judge, then either parent can do what they please.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">