• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex might own house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GilCh

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
I just found out my ex might own his home. He owes myself and our two children $26,000.00 in back support. Is there anything I can do? He currently makes a payment of about $75.00/mo. for arrearages. This doesn't even cover the interest. Is there any way we can get payment?

VeronicaGia

GilCh said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
I just found out my ex might own his home. He owes myself and our two children $26,000.00 in back support. Is there anything I can do? He currently makes a payment of about $75.00/mo. for arrearages. This doesn't even cover the interest. Is there any way we can get payment?
From what? Is the house generating income? Does he rent it out? If not, exactly how do you expect to get income from something that has a mortgage?

haiku

VeronicaGia said:
From what? Is the house generating income? Does he rent it out? If not, exactly how do you expect to get income from something that has a mortgage?
Make him sell it! of course! ;)

Key word is "might." YOU don't even know for sure. If he is still behind when he goes to sell it, then that's another story. But until then...he 'might' live in a new house and you don't.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You may be able to have a lien placed on the house (IF he actually owns it), but all that will do is secure you a place in line when/if he sells it.

nextwife

Additionally, even if a check of the county records concludes ownership, it may mean nothing unless he has EQUITY. I am aware of many almost no downpayment purchase programs. His mortgage may be about as much as his value, so even if you could force him to sell it, until you search the title for mortgages/liens, you don't even know that there is any equity there. If he is living with someone else, it is very possible THEY are the owner.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">