• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex is owes back $ but cashing check at "check cashing store" to hide income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ex owes back $ but cashing check at "check cashing store" to hide income

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca

My ex husband owes about 11 thousand in back child support. He claimes he has no job but I know for a fact he is cashing some checks from a job at a local check cashing store (I think they just take like 5%). I know his is hinding money becasue he said he would rather go to jail then pay child support to me, but im assuiming the checks that he is cashing might not be connected to his social security number. Does anyone know what I can do? Do you think child support services can get info. from that same check chashing store?

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca

My ex husband owes about 11 thousand in back child support. He claimes he has no job but I know for a fact he is cashing some checks from a job at a local check cashing store (I think they just take like 5%). I know his is hinding money becasue he said he would rather go to jail then pay child support to me, but im assuiming the checks that he is cashing might not be connected to his social security number. Does anyone know what I can do? Do you think child support services can get info. from that same check chashing store?
He cant be being paid by an employer, by check, without attaching it to his SS#.

well, he is cashing checks, maybe its taking a while for child support to find it or he is doing some type of forgery. I'm wondering if child support investigation can get the records from that same check cashing place.

Well, California just changed from 3 months non payment to 6 months non payment, then they will file contempt. It seems whenever it gets to that point he maybe just ONE payment and they old off on the court date. I guess every 30 days they send something to the DMV to suspened his drivers license but he is still driving around......

Zephyr

and what I just read- as furnished by my trusty friend google, the 180 days is the bar for CRIMINAL non-payment of support, you can file civilly to force compliance now

and this:

"If the contempt alleged is for failure to pay child, spousal, or family support, each month for which payment has not been made in full may alleged and punished as a separate count."

I like my friend google too. I dont know all the details but a few days ago I asked via web service to the "California Childs Support" official web site, they said its no 6 months until they can file contempt. Im wondering if I call them tomorrow and tell them the check cashing store if there team will be able to get records. My son was with him for a few hours yesterday and he said his dad cashed a check there for 1000 dollars**************...

Zephyr

I like my friend google too. I dont know all the details but a few days ago I asked via web service to the "California Childs Support" official web site, they said its no 6 months until they can file contempt. Im wondering if I call them tomorrow and tell them the check cashing store if there team will be able to get records. My son was with him for a few hours yesterday and he said his dad cashed a check there for 1000 dollars**************...
their "team" will not go get the records- this is not CSI:Miami hot on the trail of a serial killer.

and who cares about the check cashing store- I doubt they would turn over any records and I doubt there is cause enough to compel them to do so.

The fact that dad cashes random checks does not mean he has an income

these are the only facts that matter right now

there is a cs order in effect
dad has failed to make child support payments for an ongoing period of time

those two things can get you a contempt hearing where dad might face a penalty of some sort, at the very least he will get a stern chitchat from the judge and continued non-payment will have possible severe consequences.

get off the 6 months- that has nothing to do with you- that is when the state determines the situation is severe enough for THEM to step in and do something about.

Ok, thanks for your help. It may just be "under the table" money anyways who knows. Its just that even though I only got 47 dollars a week child support, it did help some. The son he pays for his severely disabled and im really dont able to work because of it. I just here of alot of cases where years go by and ex's with no payment rarely get any jail time.

LdiJ

He cant be being paid by an employer, by check, without attaching it to his SS#.
Believe it or not, that's not always true. Its true in the long term, but not necessarily true in the short term.

If the employer doesn't insist on seeing an SS card, or EIN letter, then someone could get away with giving a false SSN or EIN in the short term.

By short term, I mean I mean about 6 months after the end of a calendar year. That means that someone could actually work for someone about a year and a half before

Banned_Princess

:cool:

I usually think of employers being more diligent then that when issueing checks for employees.

Isn't it them who have to answer to the IRS first?

You know what, as a private contractor being 1099'd I bet they could care less about his SS#.

Last edited:
Well for about 7-8 year. my ex has a record of child support servies going for 3-6 month with no payment, then they find some random job through his SSI numuber. They send out a "wage assignment" and the company has like 45 days to comply with it. They onces they garnish about ONE payment. My ex quits**************.Does anyone know if its up to the judge, or if its a certain dollars amounth, months of non payment, or what before any jail time. Oh my ex may be going to mail next month for drunk in public on a dui probabtion thing and contributing to a minor (our other 21 yr. old son)**************..not like this would matter with child support but I dont know if the child support judge with be able to see that in the records**************..whewwwwww crazy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">