• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex trying to force me to open bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angieshue

What is the name of your state? MO

My ex recently started receiving social security disability, so now my daughter is receiving that as well, so he is angry that she receives so much, and more so, that I am the one in charge of the money, so he is trying to force me to open a bank account with her name on it, so she may go to college. I have set a separate account aside for her with SOME money in it for her when she turns 18, but I was told by SS to pay my bills and care for my child, does he legally have a case to FORCE me to open this account?

VeronicaGia

Unless a judge orders you to do this, he can go pound sand. And if he wants to go down this road with a judge, ask the judge to order him to put in the same amount of money you do.

angieshue

Thanks Veronica, I appreciate the peace of mind, actually, I sometimes wish the money wouldn't have ever come to her, as I never had it in the past, so I can't miss something I never had, and he punishes her everytime she visits because I AM SPENDING ALL OF HIS MONEY...I am tired of the problems, and she won't be 18 for 6 more years....

LdiJ

angieshue said:
Thanks Veronica, I appreciate the peace of mind, actually, I sometimes wish the money wouldn't have ever come to her, as I never had it in the past, so I can't miss something I never had, and he punishes her everytime she visits because I AM SPENDING ALL OF HIS MONEY...I am tired of the problems, and she won't be 18 for 6 more years....
That is ridiculous....its not his money. Its money that is provided by the government to help support your child....because he no longer can. Its not supposed to be used for a college fund or anything else other than current support. I don't think that you will get in any trouble for putting money in a college fund for her, but I recommend that you use your own money for that, and the SSDI benefits for her support....or at least classify it that way.

I don't believe that a judge could order you to specifically save it for college....I don't believe that a state court judge would have the authority to order you to spend federal money intended for child support, on anything but current child support.

rzack

You can use the CS as you wish towards your child. My husband's ex use it to buy sport car :( But there is nothing my hubby can do about it.

cyana24

rzack said:
You can use the CS as you wish towards your child. My husband's ex use it to buy sport car :( But there is nothing my hubby can do about it.
The OP is not talking about CS but rather a dependent's Social Security Disability benefits on her father's work credits. You don't mess around with government benefits.

The way it works is like this:
I am assuming "Mom" (the OP) is her daughter's "representative payee". Normally the parent who has Primary Residential custody is the minor's rep payee whether or not they are the disabled party. What Social Security told the OP is correct; the OP is to spend the money on her daughter's needs, whether it be for housing, clothing, medical/dental or even on some of her daughter's hobby/entertainment needs. If any money is left over after taking care her daughter's needs, then that amount can be placed in a savings account in her daughter's name. The total amount cannot be saved for "college". Periodically the "Rep Payee" receives a form that must be completed and returned to SSA, stating how the money was used on behalf of the child.

I am disabled and filled out these forms for years for my own kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">