• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex wants notarized letter of intent to pay??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madsmom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

We received e-mail from my husband's ex-wife asking him to send her a notarized letter of intent to pay child support until his daughter is out of high school. According to our lawyer, even though it is not stipulated in the child support agreement (1994), he is to pay child support until daughter is out of high school. (She will be 18 next week)
Is there something else going on here? Why should he have to send her a notarized letter saying that he is going to abide by the law? He has never been late with even one payment.
Could she be getting credit that depends on this additional income? It will only be for the next 5 months.
Any ideas? (I do plan to call our lawyer but I believe that he is out of the office until after the New Year)

Gracie3787

madsmom said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

We received e-mail from my husband's ex-wife asking him to send her a notarized letter of intent to pay child support until his daughter is out of high school. According to our lawyer, even though it is not stipulated in the child support agreement (1994), he is to pay child support until daughter is out of high school. (She will be 18 next week)
Is there something else going on here? Why should he have to send her a notarized letter saying that he is going to abide by the law? He has never been late with even one payment.
Could she be getting credit that depends on this additional income? It will only be for the next 5 months.
Any ideas? (I do plan to call our lawyer but I believe that he is out of the office until after the New Year)

My husband's ex tried something similar. She wanted some "guarantee" or order that he would pay CS for son UNTIL HE GRADUATES. The court order already stated that CS would continue past age 18 IF child was in HS with REASONABLE expectation of graduating before age 19. It turned out that his son was failing math science and english, my husband got a transcript of the grades and gave them to CSE and filed a copy with the court. CS ended on his 18th Birthday.

Since your husband's order already addresses the issue, he may want to look into his daughter's grades and when she will actually be able to graduate.

Your husband shouldn't sign ANYTHING without going to court to modify the order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">