• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex wife billing me for child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Missmykids40

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State
My ex wife has been sending me statements/worksheets/bills that she has drawn up herself telling me how much child support I owe. Is she legally able to send me bills like that?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State
My ex wife has been sending me statements/worksheets/bills that she has drawn up herself telling me how much child support I owe. Is she legally able to send me bills like that?
Yes, she is.

Whether or not you have to respond is a different matter entirely.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Are you court-ordered to pay child support? Then that is all you owe her. You don't have to respond to other requests.

justalayman

Tell her to stop sending you the damn things and if she wants child support she should sue you in court for it. That way the state determines what you owe and if you fail to pay that demand, you can lose your license and maybe go to jail and ....

Well dude, if it's your kid you are legally obligated to pa for the care of your child. I would suggest you have this done through the state. Very often guys that think they are getting s good deal because the other parent expects less than what the state is likely to order pay it. Then years down the road mom gets pissed and files in court for child support, including during the time you have been gifting her money. You could end up paying twice.

justalayman

Pay only what the court has ordered you to pay. She has no legal standing to collect any more from you than that.
And if there is no court order? You suggestion would mean he pay nothing. Not only is that inequitable and unfair to the child plus it can really backfire on the guy. Should this end up in court, the court can order retro-active back child support

This is one if the things is life where if you think it will ever actuslly end up in court, fall on the sword now and be done with it. Not only does it help settle issues like this op has, it provides a framework for problem resolution when there are disagreements over other issues as well.

I simply stated that he has no obligation to pay a single penny more than what the court says he has to. If he wishes to voluntarily give her money above and beyond that, that's his choice.

single317dad

Missmykids40, based on your username, I'll infer that you haven't seen the kids much since the divorce. Assuming you don't have these already (and it would be rare for a court not to address these issues during a divorce), get court orders for visitation and support and follow them. You have a right to see your kids on a regular basis, and a responsibility to participate in raising them, along with their financial support.

TigerD

I simply stated that he has no obligation to pay a single penny more than what the court says he has to. If he wishes to voluntarily give her money above and beyond that, that's his choice.
I disagree with this.

Every parent has an obligation to support their children. You may have meant to type "that he has no legal obligation", but clearly as a parent he has an obligation to provide whatever his child needs, be that money, food, clothing, shelter, medical or surgical attention, or simply a hug.

The obligation comes with parenthood, not with a judicial decree.

TD

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I disagree with this.

Every parent has an obligation to support their children. You may have meant to type "that he has no legal obligation", but clearly as a parent he has an obligation to provide whatever his child needs, be that money, food, clothing, shelter, medical or surgical attention, or simply a hug.

TD
Well...seeing as how this is a legal board and all, it could reasonably be inferred that it was a legal obligation that was being referred to ;)

I disagree with this.

TD
The board is for LEGAL advice which is what he was given. If he needs moral advice, I would suggest he talk to Dear Abby.

I'mTheFather

Yes, she is.

Whether or not you have to respond is a different matter entirely.
Best answer.

It's entirely possible that he was ordered to pay a percentage of other expenses in addition to the basic support. In that case, he ought not ignore the statements/worksheets/bills.

If he was not, then he can follow other advice.

TigerD

The board is for LEGAL advice which is what he was given. If he needs moral advice, I would suggest he talk to Dear Abby.
Exactly. So get it right.

Words are important in legal issues.

I simply stated that he has no obligation
This is simply incorrect. Instead of defending an error, you might wish to fix it and move on. Dear Abby doesn't require precision.

TD

Exactly. So get it right.

Words are important in legal issues.

This is simply incorrect. Instead of defending an error, you might wish to fix it and move on. Dear Abby doesn't require precision.

TD
There is no error to fix. He absolutely does not have to pay anything beyond whatever court order is in place. You can spin this any way your heart desires but absent a court order he can refuse to give her any money at all if he chooses so what I said is absolutely correct and I stand behind it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">