• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-wife died

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamhunt009

I am in NC. My ex-wife passed away three weeks ago and I was paying monthly support for over 7 yrs. My employer was deducting each week. I now have custody of our two children and the employer is still deducting the child support and says that he cannot stop it without a court order. How do I get the deductions stopped and get the already deducted monies refunded as I need it to help take care of my two children now.

Proserpina

I am in NC. My ex-wife passed away three weeks ago and I was paying monthly support for over 7 yrs. My employer was deducting each week. I now have custody of our two children and the employer is still deducting the child support and says that he cannot stop it without a court order. How do I get the deductions stopped and get the already deducted monies refunded as I need it to help take care of my two children now.

You go to court and have the order modified (stopped) based upon Mom's passing.

(Your employer is absolutely correct - they cannot legally stop withholding until they're told they can do so)

CJane

You go to court and have the order modified (stopped) based upon Mom's passing.

(Your employer is absolutely correct - they cannot legally stop withholding until they're told they can do so)
You may not need to go to court if your order is administered through the state enforcement unit. If it is, contact them and find out what they need to send out a notification to cease withholding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">