• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-wife has quit two jobs since April of 2004..now wants child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My husband and his ex-wife have 50/50 placement and custody. Last summer, She quit her 84K job in this area took a job 130 miles away. After she accepted and quit that job, she petitioned the court for full custody and move with the kids to the city where her new job is. She lost.

So she quit her new job (where she was making 98K),and her contract is out June 30th, and she has no job. She has been looking for a job in this area, but has burned alot of bridges and I don't think she is very popular in this area (There are lots of jobs to be had in this area that she is qualified for) She recently filed a motion for child support.

How is support determined? Is it based on her ability to earn? Or just the fact that she is unemployed. She is unemployed due to choices she made...not fired or laid off. Even if my husband ends up paying support...it is not enough to pay her bills or her mortage or anything like that...Will the court look at that as well...that she is not able to support herself...much less her children?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

LdiJ

aworriedstepmom said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My husband and his ex-wife have 50/50 placement and custody. Last summer, She quit her 84K job in this area took a job 130 miles away. After she accepted and quit that job, she petitioned the court for full custody and move with the kids to the city where her new job is. She lost.

So she quit her new job (where she was making 98K),and her contract is out June 30th, and she has no job. She has been looking for a job in this area, but has burned alot of bridges and I don't think she is very popular in this area (There are lots of jobs to be had in this area that she is qualified for) She recently filed a motion for child support.

How is support determined? Is it based on her ability to earn? Or just the fact that she is unemployed. She is unemployed due to choices she made...not fired or laid off. Even if my husband ends up paying support...it is not enough to pay her bills or her mortage or anything like that...Will the court look at that as well...that she is not able to support herself...much less her children?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Although there is no thread that reflects this....I could swear you asked the identical question not much more than a week ago.

ambermarie

As far as I know child support is determined by the parents income. The more money your husband makes the more money he will probably have to pay. They determine the age of the child and how much money it takes to care for a child that age. If she loses her place to live and isn't working your husband could file a motion for emergancy custody. Which would put the child in his care untill the mother gets stuff sorted out and proves to the court that she can provide a safe place for the child to live and provide for them. If they share residencial custody they may not be able to order childsupport.

LdiJ

aworriedstepmom said:
I haven't been to this forum since Oct 2004
Have you asked this question on any other forums? I am certain that I have recently seen this same question asked (same state, same exact figures even) around a week ago.

Actually....

A friend who is often on the web and posting on message boards said she would see what she could find out. I have been ill and not up for surfing the web till now.

They have 50/50 physical placement

He has them from 5:00 pm on Friday till 5:00 pm the following Friday....then she has them the same amount of time. He will have them overnight for 183 days this year. Will the court ask her how she is going to support the kids just on child support? In past years she has made alot of money, and I don't know how a family of three, who is used to living a pretty good lifestyle is going to make it on what the support calucators are saying he would have to pay. Right now, he carries the kids on his insurance, pays for 1/2 of their activities, and half of their school fees (lunch, registration and such)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">