• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-wife From Hell Back Again!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torren61

I thought this was over but she has returned...

My ex-wife is suing me for unpaid medical bills apparently incurred while the boy was under 19 years of age. That was ten months ago.

I'll spare you the long version of this story. I received a notice in the mail of a court date in a Colorado court. She is suing me for unpaid medical bills.

My son was arrested while in her custody and sent to drug rehab and then to a juvenile detention center for boys. She did not notify me in accordance with the court ordered parenting plan so I had no input on this decision. He was covered by insurance then. He is not covered by my insurance now because he turned 19 ten months ago.

She is like Michael Myers of the movie Holloween. She just won't stop.

Can she come after me years later? She did not follow the court ordered parenting plan. Does that matter? Now what do I do?

Torren61

Well, that would be the best idea but I'm in California. I'm looking for a lead to research how to defend myself. Thanks for the great advice, though.

cyjeff

Then can we assume that the mother and adult son now live somewhere other than California?

You said a Colorado court. Is that where they live or is that where the custody orders originated?

Torren61

Sorry. Yes. Both live in Colorado Springs though not together.

I've had very bad luck with attorneys in Colorado and I've done well representing myself over the phone. I'm trying to get some bearing on how to research this so I can begin to build a defense.

The ex did not mention medical expenses prior to my receiving notice today. Nor did she file with the insurance company.

nextwife

Exactly what does the order state with regard to submission of med bills (such as method of notification and time frame for submission), and submission to insurance for covered benefits?

Torren61

Exactly what does the order state with regard to submission of med bills (such as method of notification and time frame for submission), and submission to insurance for covered benefits?
Good question. I build power lines. At the moment I'm in Eureka, CA. My house and all of my documents are in Missouri. I cannot walk away from this job until it is complete.

I don't remember anything about a method of notification or time frames for submitting medical bills.

I think my first action is to find out what she's even talking about. Secondly, I need time to prepare a response. I'd need to be able to get records of all the insurance companies and what they've paid on his medical bills. I couldn't sleep last night (nor could my wife and soulmate, Melinda). I remember some bills from Arapahoe House (drug rehab) that were paid by my insurance.

Thanks for the responses so far.

single317dad

Good question. I build power lines. At the moment I'm in Eureka, CA. My house and all of my documents are in Missouri. I cannot walk away from this job until it is complete.

I don't remember anything about a method of notification or time frames for submitting medical bills.

I think my first action is to find out what she's even talking about. Secondly, I need time to prepare a response. I'd need to be able to get records of all the insurance companies and what they've paid on his medical bills. I couldn't sleep last night (nor could my wife and soulmate, Melinda). I remember some bills from Arapahoe House (drug rehab) that were paid by my insurance.

What court is your ex suing you in? Is this matter tied to the family court, or is she suing you in small claims court?

If it's a small claims case, your foremost goal will be to question her standing to sue. Find out exactly what the alleged debt is, and who was responsible for paying it. If SHE is suing YOU, make sure she actually paid the debt (and currently owns the right to sue for it).

The statute of limitations on all debt is 6 years in Colorado, so if she can prove you owe the debt, and the default occurred less that 6 years ago, you'll be on the hook.

If you'll turn on your PM function, I'll send you the link to an excellent credit and debt advice site. I don't want to post links to other forums in this forum, as I'm not sure what the rules are on that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you cannot access your court documents in order to give us pertinent information, then you aren't going to get anything useful from this forum.

Torren61

What court is your ex suing you in? Is this matter tied to the family court, or is she suing you in small claims court?

If it's a small claims case, your foremost goal will be to question her standing to sue. Find out exactly what the alleged debt is, and who was responsible for paying it. If SHE is suing YOU, make sure she actually paid the debt (and currently owns the right to sue for it).

The statute of limitations on all debt is 6 years in Colorado, so if she can prove you owe the debt, and the default occurred less that 6 years ago, you'll be on the hook.

If you'll turn on your PM function, I'll send you the link to an excellent credit and debt advice site. I don't want to post links to other forums in this forum, as I'm not sure what the rules are on that.
This is a Domestic Relations ADR Information Form filed in District and County courts of El Paso County, CO.

Torren61

If you cannot access your court documents in order to give us pertinent information, then you aren't going to get anything useful from this forum.
I hear you but no, I cannot access any documents other than the one I received in the mail from the EWFH (ex-wife from hell).

nextwife

Either order a copy from the court or your attorney. You need to know what the orders say.

Torren61

How do you expect to defend yourself?
I expect to ask for a continuance and file a motion of discovery while I gather the documents I need. If I have to, I'll fly back to Missouri and get my documents.

My question here is where, in the CRS, do I look to find information on this type of issue. Can she sue me years after the fact and win?

If you have information that would further my case I'd like to hear it. Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">