• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-wife lying about day care costs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jason.1344

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT (wife lives in GA, divorce happened in WA)

While filing for divorce, the ex-wife found the most expensive daycare in her area and put that amount in the child support work sheet. After me asking her for a receipt for months (and me calling the daycare and finding out my kids were never going there), she finally came out and said that she wasn't sending them to that daycare because it was too expensive and that someone in her apartment complex was watching them. We argued over the amount I was giving her and who was watching them (on the paperwork it is a certain dollar amount, but this is based off her saying how much daycare is and me paying 60% of that) and she finally started sending them to an accredited daycare. Now I have been trying to get her or the daycare to send me receipts so I can see how much she is actually paying to no avail. Calling around on my own and getting quotes from other daycares in the area though, I am probably paying about 80% of the daycare expenses vice 60%. My ex is saying it doesn't matter because the worksheet says that I owe her $???? a month for daycare, I tried to explain to her that that is because she said that daycare is $???? a month and I am required to pay 60% of that and since the amount she said was a lie that I don't owe her that amount, that I owe her 60% of the ACTUAL amount of daycare. Who is right in this exchange? Do I owe the dollar amount on the worksheet, even though this was based off an inflated amount that the ex put on there, even though they don't go to that daycare? Or do I owe her 60% of the actual day care amount since this is the percentage that I agreed to pay? Also is there anything that I can file to petition her to provide me with actual daycare receipts since neither her or the daycare provider are being helpful in this matter.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this topic.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If there is a specific dollar amount listed in your order, then that is what you owe. If you believe she pays less than that, you need to file for a modification. Until the court determines a different amount, you must pay what is ordered (not what you think 60% is) or may be found in contempt.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT (wife lives in GA, divorce happened in WA)

While filing for divorce, the ex-wife found the most expensive daycare in her area and put that amount in the child support work sheet. After me asking her for a receipt for months (and me calling the daycare and finding out my kids were never going there), she finally came out and said that she wasn't sending them to that daycare because it was too expensive and that someone in her apartment complex was watching them. We argued over the amount I was giving her and who was watching them (on the paperwork it is a certain dollar amount, but this is based off her saying how much daycare is and me paying 60% of that) and she finally started sending them to an accredited daycare. Now I have been trying to get her or the daycare to send me receipts so I can see how much she is actually paying to no avail. Calling around on my own and getting quotes from other daycares in the area though, I am probably paying about 80% of the daycare expenses vice 60%. My ex is saying it doesn't matter because the worksheet says that I owe her $???? a month for daycare, I tried to explain to her that that is because she said that daycare is $???? a month and I am required to pay 60% of that and since the amount she said was a lie that I don't owe her that amount, that I owe her 60% of the ACTUAL amount of daycare. Who is right in this exchange? Do I owe the dollar amount on the worksheet, even though this was based off an inflated amount that the ex put on there, even though they don't go to that daycare? Or do I owe her 60% of the actual day care amount since this is the percentage that I agreed to pay? Also is there anything that I can file to petition her to provide me with actual daycare receipts since neither her or the daycare provider are being helpful in this matter.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this topic.
Can you please tell us exactly what your order says regarding daycare?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">