• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-wife's harassment caused loss of job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jennbug70

What is the name of your state? FL

My boyfriend is currently filing a modification of child support order. Basically what has happened in the last 6 months is that she is continually harassing him in one way or another. She called DCF on him because he spanked with the belt but left no marks, she has accused him of drug use, she refused his visitation rights and finally when going to court for the dependency hearing for DCF, he voluntarily signed up for anger management and parenting classes but all drug allegations were dropped.

She has been calling the corporate office accusing him of drug use and he was terminated even though the drug screen was negative. Now he is filing for unemployment, and looking for a job and filed for the modification so that he doesn't get so far behind that he is put in jail.

We have in the DCF discovery where it states she was calling his job and harassing him, however, she has retained an attorney and he is not able to hire one due to not working. Any suggestions would help.

Just Blue

My boyfriend is currently filing a modification of child support order. Basically what has happened in the last 6 months is that she is continually harassing him in one way or another. She called DCF on him because he spanked with the belt but left no marks, she has accused him of drug use, she refused his visitation rights and finally when going to court for the dependency hearing for DCF, he voluntarily signed up for anger management and parenting classes but all drug allegations were dropped.

She has been calling the corporate office accusing him of drug use and he was terminated even though the drug screen was negative. Now he is filing for unemployment, and looking for a job and filed for the modification so that he doesn't get so far behind that he is put in jail.

We have in the DCF discovery where it states she was calling his job and harassing him, however, she has retained an attorney and he is not able to hire one due to not working. Any suggestions would help.
How old is the child?

CJane

She called DCF on him because he spanked with the belt but left no marks, she has accused him of drug use, she refused his visitation rights and finally when going to court for the dependency hearing for DCF, he voluntarily signed up for anger management and parenting classes but all drug allegations were dropped.
None of that is harassment. Just so you know. I'd be on the phone for CPS if my exhusband even thought about using a belt on my kids - the fact that your boyfriend left no marks is (IMO) completely irrelevant.

The other stuff.... not harassment. And probably impossible to prove that's why he lost his job.

He needs to run the numbers through a child support calculator for his state - and determine if the amount would be different enough to even bother filing the modification. Often, it's just not worth it - it might only change by $20-$30/month depending on how much he was making before vs what unemployment will pay. And... a lot of states won't modify unless the income has changed by 50% or more, AND the change in CS will be 20% or more.

My boyfriend is currently filing a modification of child support order.
Ok...

Basically what has happened in the last 6 months is that she is continually harassing him in one way or another.
Yep. When one parent gets unhappy it tends to happen from time to time.

She called DCF on him because he spanked with the belt but left no marks,
You know.....I normally wouldn't even touch such a controversial statement....(.but the way you put it pisses me off.)So I have to ask..... If it would have left a mark... Would it have been wrong then?

she has accused him of drug use,
Yep, this also tends to happen.

she refused his visitation rights
If visitation is court ordered, and she refused to allow him his time, HE needs to file for contempt.

and finally when going to court for the dependency hearing for DCF, he voluntarily signed up for anger management and parenting classes but all drug allegations were dropped.
Why in the world would he have taken such a 'deal' if he was not on drugs?

She has been calling the corporate office accusing him of drug use and he was terminated even though the drug screen was negative.
What was his official reason for termination?

Now he is filing for unemployment, and looking for a job and filed for the modification so that he doesn't get so far behind that he is put in jail.
A start.

We have in the DCF discovery where it states she was calling his job and harassing him, however, she has retained an attorney and he is not able to hire one due to not working.
He needs to beg and borrow to get one.

Any suggestions would help.
Yeah....ummm...If you don't have a job...You need to get one. Your man needs monetary help.

Otherwise...You have no standing. This is between the kids' Mom and Dad.

Your best bet is to stay out of it.

LdiJ

In this day and age I cannot fathom a parent who would be stupid enough to use a belt on a child....and if a parent was stupid enough to do so, then they deserve whatever legal hassle they have to deal with.

Gracie3787

He can get a consult with an attorney for $25 by calling the Florida Bar Lawyer referral Service at 1-800-342-8011. He should take all of the eveidence of her harrassment to the consult and the attorney should be able to advise him if the evidence is enough to prove harrasment according to the statute. Yes, according to the statute, it *might* be harassment, but he'll have to be able to prove his case. He can then file for a trestraining order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">