• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex works with no income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bilrob

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Califonia
ex has now been working for the past 8 months as a real estate agent but has no earned income, but had to sink a good chunk of money for the start up fees and costs to join the firm she is with. Is there any way to get the CS that I now pay reduced based on the hours that she is working?
We share 50/50 custody but I still pay her becasue she has no income but can afford to work a job that cost her money!
:rolleyes:
thanks
Bill

child support

Check with a lawyer or review CA's child support laws because a lot of states allow someone to be assigned an income at the reate that they would be making. For instance; even though she is not currently making an income it is due to the fact that she has been putting money into the company. Because of this you can have the courts assign her an income based on what she would be making if she had not waisted all of her money on the business. (how is she paying her bills without an income? Child support can ONLY be spent on the children. If she ownes a 3 bedroom house then since the child in only occuping one room then she cannot say that child support covers her rent or mortgage.)

MominNJ

re

I believe what will wind up happening is that whatever income she earned from her last job, will wind up being used. This is what happened with me.
The fees that she is paying to begin her real estate career are required. She has to pay these. Insurance, memberships etc... Every agent has to pay these. And it doesn't stop there!
You don't make any money selling real estate unless you actually make a sale. So, this is why she has no income to speak of at the moment.
Also, like the other poster said under certain circumstances, an income can just be imputed. It depends on a lot of factors.

MominNJ

re

Is there any way to get the CS that I now pay reduced based on the hours that she is working?

I missed that, sorry I'm a lazy reader sometimes.
Not now. wait till the end of the year before you go for a modification.

MtnMoon

MominNJ said:
Is there any way to get the CS that I now pay reduced based on the hours that she is working?

I missed that, sorry I'm a lazy reader sometimes.
Not now. wait till the end of the year before you go for a modification.

Waiting until she has some income makes sense... You should consider that in CA there needs to be a substantial change of circumstance before a modification is considered. If she's just starting out in her real estate career...it might take a while before she's making much money. Some patience might be beneficial. Besides, your child deserves the financial support you are providing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">