• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extended child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sunny70

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO
I have a disabled child (over 18), who is still receiving child support. For two reasons. 1. She is still considered "in school" until she's 22, 2. Her father is on felony probation for non support until Jan 2013 and is required to make monthly payments, or the courts pull him in to see the judge.

My daughter will not ever walk, say more then 10 words, make her own decisions, so my question is since I have to support her the rest of my life are there any laws for disabled children that would extended support from the non custodial parent? :eek:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO
I have a disabled child (over 18), who is still receiving child support. For two reasons. 1. She is still considered "in school" until she's 22, 2. Her father is on felony probation for non support until Jan 2013 and is required to make monthly payments, or the courts pull him in to see the judge.

My daughter will not ever walk, say more then 10 words, make her own decisions, so my question is since I have to support her the rest of my life are there any laws for disabled children that would extended support from the non custodial parent? :eek:

As a very general rule, lifetime child support must be requested before the child comes of age.

Check with a local attorney though; there may be exceptions.

(A cursory Google search did not bring up anything definitive)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">