• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extension for Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pyramid471

What is the name of your state? Florida
My daughter will be 18 years of age June 11, 2007. She was held back in school when she
was 8. She will not be graduating high school for another year. I have discussed this with
her father and I asked him could he pay me the child support for another year. He became
very angry with me, and said No! Is there anyway legally that I can get him to pay the child
support payments for another year? We have a paternity suit and it states that he is re-
sponsible for here child support until she is 18 years of age. Plese let me know so that I
may act upom it soon. The time is running out.

Thank You,

Marlene Patterson

LdiJ

My daughter will be 18 years of age June 11, 2007. She was held back in school when she
was 8. She will not be graduating high school for another year. I have discussed this with
her father and I asked him could he pay me the child support for another year. He became
very angry with me, and said No! Is there anyway legally that I can get him to pay the child
support payments for another year? We have a paternity suit and it states that he is re-
sponsible for here child support until she is 18 years of age. Plese let me know so that I

Thank You,

Marlene Patterson
Get a consult with your local CSE. Odds are that he will be required to continue support untill she graduates from high school.

GrowUp!

sponsible for here child support until she is 18 years of age
. Plese let me know so that I
Is this EXACTLY what your order says? Please tell us EXACTLY what your order says. Unless you both agreed to 18 and when the child graduates from H.S...

Gracie3787

Thank You,

Marlene Patterson
You are very fortunate that your daughter's birthdate falls at just the right time. Florida law allows for CS to continue past age 18, as long as the child is still in HS, with reasonable expectation of graduating before age 19, but never past age 19. Since your daughter will turn 19 right at graduation time, you shouldn't have any problem at all getting the order extended.

Is CSE involved in your case? If so, they normally will stop garnishments automatically if no arrears are owed. You'll need to contact CSE by the end of March to ensure that they will file to continue the order.

If CSE isn't involved in your case, you'll need to file a petition to extend the order past 18th birthday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">