• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extra Curricular Activities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

92833Mom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My ex pays $79 a month in child support (which I feel is a joke), but he quit his good paying job and now makes $10.00 and hour and works part-time. However, I think he works under the table somewhere else since he drives a new car and his wife has a 3 year old BMW. My ex has his wages garnished and that is all he pays, but it is not enough for everything. Can I take him to court and ask that he pay for half of all extra curricular activities? I have asked him to help out, but he says that the $79.00 is plenty (who can live off $79 a month???).

Any advice would be great!!

mistoffolees

You can ASK that he pay for 1/2 of extracurricular activities, but the court probably won't order it if he objects (and he should). It's easy to get involved in extracurricular activities that cost many thousands of dollars per year - and he would have no say in it.

Rather, get a court ordered amount of support since it sounds like yours is not based on a court order. If he had a better job and then quit, you may be able to get the court to impute the higher income level and base his support on that. Even at $10 per hour, he should be paying a lot more than $79 per month.

You can ignore his driving a new car and his wife driving a BMW. She might have money of her own - or be working at a higher paying job. Or maybe they simply don't mind being in debt over their head. It's just not relevant. What is relevant is his income (or what he COULD be making if he is voluntarily underemployed).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">