• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extracurricular activities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Middlem

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wi

We have joint custody. Mom has primary placement. I pay child support and have visitation. Mom has filed for modification of child support. She wants more money because of all of the extra curricular activities she places the kids (2; 12 and 14) in. Mom does not consult with me before enrolling them in these activities, she doesn't even tell me about the schedules (I find out from the kids). These activities interfere with my time every weekend I have them. It has for many years. I take them to their practices/games/competitions during my times. I have been lenient. I don't make plans for my times because we wouldn't be able to work around their other activities at all. Sometimes these activities take place in different cities and most of my time with them is spent driving back and forth.

Can court increase my owed child support (with no changes to my income) just based on her enrolling them in these activities?

LdiJ

We have joint custody. Mom has primary placement. I pay child support and have visitation. Mom has filed for modification of child support. She wants more money because of all of the extra curricular activities she places the kids (2; 12 and 14) in. Mom does not consult with me before enrolling them in these activities, she doesn't even tell me about the schedules (I find out from the kids). These activities interfere with my time every weekend I have them. It has for many years. I take them to their practices/games/competitions during my times. I have been lenient. I don't make plans for my times because we wouldn't be able to work around their other activities at all. Sometimes these activities take place in different cities and most of my time with them is spent driving back and forth.

Can court increase my owed child support (with no changes to my income) just based on her enrolling them in these activities?
No, but if your income has increased since your last child support calculation she would get an increase based on that.

Silverplum

Based on what I read in this link, no: http://www.wisbar.org/forpublic/ineedinformation/pages/child-support-residential-custody-placement.aspx, under "Which decisions are considered routine daily decisions?"

You are in charge of daily decisions during your parenting time, she's in charge during hers. You really don't have to do all that driving and sporty non-family time.

OHRoadwarrior

I concur. Ask the children what they want and proceed that way. It is likely they do not want all the activities and will embrace you interrupting the schedule and getting them removed from some teams/activities.

Middlem

Thank you for your help. Is there anything I should bring with to court besides normal documents (proof of wages/expenses/etc)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">