• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extradition Child Support Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zoie_Amor

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My fiance is being held at a CA jail and in the process of being extradited to KY for a failure to appear (fugitve warrant) on a child support case. He currently owes $15k in back support. I have been told from the collection officer that they are bringing him back to KY to spend 5 years in jail BUT he will let him out if he pays $8k. We have no idea what are rights are, what's going to happen, will he be provided counsel, etc. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated since I'm all the way helpless in CA.

Zoie_Amor

I guess my question is more are we being provided correct information by a child support collection officer and not an attorney or judge. Are we receiving correct info? He had been unemployed so wasn't able to pay but just started making payments when he was picked up. Unfortunately we don't have $8k. I am 34 weeks pregnant and would like to get him home. California laws are way different then KY. They don't do prison time for child support. Can he make payment arrangements with the court and will they provide him with a public defender?

Zoie_Amor

Honestly I don't know. I think it was a lack of communication. He has never had legal advice on this and just did whatever he was told. Apparently from what I understand, he signed a document not realizing exactly what he was signing saying if he did not appear in court in KY or did not make a payment on time then he would go to prison for 3-5 years. Well, now that is happening but at the same time a enforcer is saying he'll take $8k and release him. Being a criminal justice major (obviously not an expert) to me I'm wondering how he can make this offer being that he is not a judge.

Just Blue

Honestly I don't know. I think it was a lack of communication. He has never had legal advice on this and just did whatever he was told. Apparently from what I understand, he signed a document not realizing exactly what he was signing saying if he did not appear in court in KY or did not make a payment on time then he would go to prison for 3-5 years. Well, now that is happening but at the same time a enforcer is saying he'll take $8k and release him. Being a criminal justice major (obviously not an expert) to me I'm wondering how he can make this offer being that he is not a judge.
Generally when a parent is picked up for contempt of a support order a purge is ordered. If the defendant doesn't pay the purge s/he will sit in jail until paid.

Honestly...why your BF is making new baby's when he isn't paying for the already born one is beyond me. I hope you are prepared to raise this child with no financial support from him...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">