• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extremely perplexing situation!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EZ_Duzzit

Denver, Co
Hello I have a problem, my wife and I recently financed a vehicle. I don't have a license due to child support but my wife and I have 5 children that live at home with us. I cannot help her commute back and forth to work all the while taking care of other business around town, and we often have to wait for her off days to go. Now that it is time to get the license plates for the vehicle we need to get insurance, however all of the insurance companies are denying us on the account of me being unlicensed and living with her. We did not have this problem on a previous vehicle, but I figure it may be because it wasn't required to have full coverage as it was a 97 and the new vehicle is a 2007...
I have paid child support off and on when I had jobs, but never got to see my child once, and every time I got a new number it was switched. Can I legally have support lifted or even find a way to just get my license back for my own family at home? We often miss doctor appointments, school events, etc because I cannot drive. Even if the child support remains, I just need my license, as it will also help me in finding and keeping a job to pay the support... If anyone can help me on this it would be GREATLY appreciated... Thank you
Earl

mistoffolees

You can talk with the child support collection agency. In some cases, they'll allow for a license to be reinstated in return for you making some payment and a payment plan for the rest. However, since it sounds like there's a long history of noncompliance, they may not be willing to do that.

I would call some more insurance companies. There is no standard requirement that they can't insure a car in the house if all adults don't have licenses. That's individual company policy.

CJane

You can talk with the child support collection agency. In some cases, they'll allow for a license to be reinstated in return for you making some payment and a payment plan for the rest. However, since it sounds like there's a long history of noncompliance, they may not be willing to do that.

I would call some more insurance companies. There is no standard requirement that they can't insure a car in the house if all adults don't have licenses. That's individual company policy.
I'm thinking that they're not being denied because an unlicensed adult is in the house. I'm thinking they're being denied because she's a trying to include an unlicensed adult as a driver on the policy.

I know that MY insurance co doesn't care who lives in my household, only who is driving the vehicle.

mistoffolees

I'm thinking that they're not being denied because an unlicensed adult is in the house. I'm thinking they're being denied because she's a trying to include an unlicensed adult as a driver on the policy.

I know that MY insurance co doesn't care who lives in my household, only who is driving the vehicle.
Could be. There certainly isn't any reason Mom couldn't get insurance in her name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">