• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failure to appear child support purge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

donovan6870

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
My child support comes directly out of my check every month. I have never missed payment and my ex recieves the maximum amount that she can get. Her income has not changed and neither has mine. So when she requested a court hearing for an increase. I made the mistake of not going. Now they have a failure to appear purge of 5000.00. I dont have this money. How do they decide how long you go to jail or can you request a new court date?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My child support comes directly out of my check every month. I have never missed payment and my ex recieves the maximum amount that she can get. Her income has not changed and neither has mine. So when she requested a court hearing for an increase. I made the mistake of not going. Now they have a failure to appear purge of 5000.00. I dont have this money. How do they decide how long you go to jail or can you request a new court date?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What exactly does the paperwork state? Do you have any arrearages that she stated or that CS shows?

donovan6870

re: paperwork

paperwork says i was to pay what i have been paying. I never see the money they pay it before i get paid and my arrears is zero in their system.I just didnt show up to the court date for her modification request.

Gracie3787

Something is very wrong. If only a modification was filed, you have the choice to not attend the hearing. Further, a purge is NEVER ordered during only a modification.

You NEED to go to the courthouse and look through your file to find out exactly what was filed and exactly what was ordered. If need be, get copies (the normal charge is $1.00 per page) and take the papers to an attorney for a consult.
You can get a low cost consult by calling the Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-342-8011.

Also, is the DOR CSE involved in your case?
If they are, after you have found out what was filed and ordered, you can try going to the DOR office with the papers to speak to your caseworker before seeing an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">