• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

father being charged for back child support of diseased mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Coylenb2

Long story short. My mother passed away in 2007, my father owed her a great deal of child support for myself and 3 brothers. My grandmother was awarded custody of my younger 2 brothers, and very briefly myself. In the time that has passed, my father has had his wages garnished for support of the younger 2, even though they are now 22 and 21. We both understand that he would be responsible for support for them until they became 18, which was never officially set by any court. My real question here is, can he be charged for the back child support of my mother even though she has passed away? I do understand somethings, that the miney owed is assessed in some since with her estate, which is handled by my grandmother. I am just confused that now, 10 years later he is being summoned to court for a very large amount of money. Any advice and knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Also this all has taken place in the state of VA.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Long story short. My mother passed away in 2007, my father owed her a great deal of child support for myself and 3 brothers. My grandmother was awarded custody of my younger 2 brothers, and very briefly myself. In the time that has passed, my father has had his wages garnished for support of the younger 2, even though they are now 22 and 21. We both understand that he would be responsible for support for them until they became 18, which was never officially set by any court. My real question here is, can he be charged for the back child support of my mother even though she has passed away? I do understand somethings, that the miney owed is assessed in some since with her estate, which is handled by my grandmother. I am just confused that now, 10 years later he is being summoned to court for a very large amount of money. Any advice and knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Also this all has taken place in the state of VA.
Yes your father can be forced to pay child support since your grandmother was awarded custody. Most likely a child support order was put in place OFFICIALLY when your grandmother was awarded custody. Truthfully, this is none of your business.

LdiJ

He would still owe your mother's estate the back support.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You could have made your short story a tad longer by answering the leading question - what state?

FlyingRon

You could have made your short story a tad longer by answering the leading question - what state?
It's in the last line of his post: Virginia.

The "court" never sets support in Virginia. It's set administratively based on the salaries of the parents.

The arrears due your mother is part of her estate. It just doesn't evaporate because the child turns 18 or the mother dies.
Further if she received public assistance, that money can be collected by the state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">