• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father is in contempt of court and moved to other state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlueMonday00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

The facts:

Father of children is $15,000 behind in child support.

He is court ordered to pay 50% of all medical bills. He has received each one and refused to pay any.

He is court ordered to take out a life insurance policy and has not done so.

All the court orders were 4 years ago.

Child support is now through the IRS so it is automatically taken out when he files his W-2 at a new job. However, when he is laid off or not working due to his own accord he pays zero child support. This is the current situation. No money coming in.

He is court ordered to maintain health insurance for the children but only did so half the time and denied access from myself talking to the insurance company. This would prevent me from knowing what was covered or the ability to appeal any denials. Since the children live with me and he only has certain holiday for visitation all the medical bills have my name associated with them, not his. I also cannot tell you how many times I have gone to pick up prescriptions for my sons and because he didn't pay the insurance, I couldn't afford to get their medicine. I have put the boys on my own insurance plan. I t makes it much easier now, but I feel I should be compensated by him since he is ordered to have it.

In January he moved 1400 miles away to another state. Just up and left and would not tell me until three months later where he was.

Obviously he is in contempt of court. Should I self file or get an attorney? If I self file, what can be done to him? I already got the IRS taking out child support payments when he is employed, but since he is in another state what else can they do that will really change this situation? This year I never received his tax return like I have in all past years. Could he never have filed taxes? If so, is there something that can be done about that? Can he be put in jail for a long time without a bail? Before when I went about 4 years ago, the judge found him in contempt and set a bail of $500. He was out soon after and as you can see we are still in this situation.

I hope I posted correctly and am clear in what I said. Thank you!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

I would start by contacting your state child support collection agency. If they are unable to help, then consider hiring an attorney.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I figured she meant that if/when he files taxes ("files his w-2") and is due a refund, it's sent to her.
That's what I understood, but the IRS doesn't do that out of the goodness of their hearts. Somebody has to tell them that the refund needs to be redirected and I'm willing to bet that it's DOR/CSEA. :cool:

BlueMonday00

Sorry, let me clear things up.

Florida Department of Revenue Child Support are the people that collect the support payments. They have done so while he lived in Florida and also when he started working in his new state. For the past few months it has just stopped. Could he either not be working or there is a problem with the DOR?

Also they automatically have sent me his tax refund every year so I don't know what happened to that.

My children's father also has another child with another woman whom he also abandoned, but her child support is not coming in either.

I hope that clears up that part.

So as far as taking him back to court, any suggestions or even predictions of what would even happen? Thanks

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">