• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father died

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Help my sons dad died and had a lawsuit ongoing can I get my child support owed to me from this lawsuit
It really depends on the nature of the lawsuit and many other factors. Is it possible? Yes it is. Will it happen? It depends on a lot of details that are not here. I would recommend that you get a consult with an attorney who can look at things in more depth.

Cassy31511

Yes there are many details nt stated here bt we are nt allowed to even collect ssi because he never held a job prior to his passing

Cassy31511

Yes we did he owed over 20thousand to me and another lump some to the state… .the State was able to get there money from the lawsuit….. Also my son has the remaing of the lawsuit in a trust account until he turns 18… he's 10 now and I'm grateful the money is there for him when he needs it for college but that doesn't help me with his expenses now

LdiJ

Yes we did he owed over 20thousand to me and another lump some to the state… .the State was able to get there money from the lawsuit….. Also my son has the remaing of the lawsuit in a trust account until he turns 18… he's 10 now and I'm grateful the money is there for him when he needs it for college but that doesn't help me with his expenses now
In that case it sounds like it is too late for you to collect from the lawsuit. You probably needed to take some sort of action to do so around the time that the state took their action to collect their portion.

Does the trust allow any money at all to be drawn for any current expenses for your son? Who is the trustee of the trust?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">