• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father getting paid under the table; should i report him to get more support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Monaa

I live in VA, but the father of my 2 babies (11 months & 2 years old) he lives in PA. I (mom) have custody of the children. The father works all over the US. He is a commercial diver. Right now he works in Connecticut with a company that pays him under the table occasionally. The courts sent me a child support order recently and the father only has to pay $515 a month with a arrears of $1500, which is $50 a month additionally. So total he has to pay is about $565 for TWO BABIES! yea tell me about it soooo little! He claimed that is was bringing in 1500 a month net; which is absolutely false. He never made that little of an amount when we lived together for 8 years. The father has a default amount through the Unemployment office which is over $5000. So every time the father gets paid under the table he opens up a claim through Unemployment and what he receives goes towards his default. I want to report him to Labor of Law but I was told that if I do, I might loose some of my child support because they will garnish his wages to pay Unemployment back. Do you think this is true? Or should I report him and try to get more money out of him that way he can actually claim the correct amount? I did just recently appeal through the courts the amount he will be sending to the children. Also, since he works all of the US, is there a way to track his wages, or can the courts make it easier and go by his last year taxes to calculate the amount to give for the children?
Thank u.

meanyjack

So total he has to pay is about $565 for TWO BABIES! yea tell me about it soooo little!
Uhh....the purpose of the person ordered to pay child support is not mean to cover ALL of the costs. BOTH parents are financially obligated to support their children, according to the order. It's NOT a one-way street. WTH did you think you would get? That's why there are child support calculations est. by the legislature.

He claimed that is was bringing in 1500 a month net; which is absolutely false.
So why didn't you dispute that?

I want to report him to Labor of Law but I was told that if I do, I might loose some of my child support because they will garnish his wages to pay Unemployment back. Do you think this is true? Or should I report him and try to get more money out of him that way he can actually claim the correct amount?
You have to PROVE your claim. With actual evidence.

I did just recently appeal through the courts the amount he will be sending to the children.
Based on what findings of fact or error of law?

Also, since he works all of the US, is there a way to track his wages,
No, it's none of your business.

or can the courts make it easier and go by his last year taxes to calculate the amount to give for the children?
He should've submitted tax returns for the past couple of years.

I live in a VERY high cost of living area. We use cloth diapers for our baby. I tracked how much we spent on her last month, taking into account loads of diapers in the wash, a little bit of money for baths (which she takes with me, so the cost would be spent anyway), etc. $265. And that's because I bought her a tea set for when she's older. We could pay for TWO babies with how thrifty we are on $565 a month.

You get $565 for two children. Do you think you should get 100% of the expenses? You created those babies too, and have responsibility for them as well. Half the responsibility is yours. Somehow it was determined that it takes all of $1,130 a month to care for those two kids. Do you actually put out that much money for the kids? No? Then you're already coming out ahead.

You really are presuming a lot. Unless you have some solid evidence, then go back to taking care of your babies and be glad you're getting anything at all. $565 really isn't "soooo little." Many moms get less, or even nothing.

Proserpina

Congrats.

I used to get a grand total of - if memory serves me right - $65/month in child support.

Could've been less. It's been so long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">