• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father not Following Parenting Plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

southergirlmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I have twin 16 year old girls. Their father persuaded the judge back 5 years ago to lower his child support from $800 a month to $400 a month due his inability to keep a great paying job that he quit on his own. He choses now to work at $11 an hour less than what he use to make to keep this rate low. Their father pays me directly but does not pay ontime and when he wants to. Payments are due on Fridays and he may pay by Sunday. He is current with his $100 a week. He owes me over $2,000 from Cheer fees and some medical expenses that he has chose not to pay and refuses to pay. But in our papers it states he is responsible for 1/2 extra cirricular activities and 1/2 medical bills. He also does landscaping on the side and I have never included that to be apart of the overall yearly income.

Question #1: Can anything be done to enforce these amounts owed without having to get a lawyer and go back to court?
Question #2: How hard is it to get the child support garnished from his check so I can get the payment on time?
Question #3: What would I need to do prove extra income in court if I decided to take him back to court?

Thank you!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'll address question #2: Receiving a CS payment on Sunday (two days after it's due) is lightning quick. You won't see it any faster if it's garnished. In fact, it's going to take much longer to actually see the money that has been garnished.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I have twin 16 year old girls. Their father persuaded the judge back 5 years ago to lower his child support from $800 a month to $400 a month due his inability to keep a great paying job that he quit on his own. He choses now to work at $11 an hour less than what he use to make to keep this rate low. Their father pays me directly but does not pay ontime and when he wants to. Payments are due on Fridays and he may pay by Sunday. He is current with his $100 a week. He owes me over $2,000 from Cheer fees and some medical expenses that he has chose not to pay and refuses to pay. But in our papers it states he is responsible for 1/2 extra cirricular activities and 1/2 medical bills. He also does landscaping on the side and I have never included that to be apart of the overall yearly income.

Question #1: Can anything be done to enforce these amounts owed without having to get a lawyer and go back to court?
Question #2: How hard is it to get the child support garnished from his check so I can get the payment on time?
Question #3: What would I need to do prove extra income in court if I decided to take him back to court?

Thank you!
I agree with Zig with Question 2.

Question 1: There is no way to enforce that without going back to court, but you can do it without an attorney.

Question 3: It could be difficult to prove the side income unless he includes it on his tax return. If so, you would have to ask for his tax returns as part of your "discovery". However, if he is that determined not to pay more than he is paying now, it may be impossible to prove the income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">