• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father ordered to pay child support/alimony in 1985 moves 1993 to avoid court orders

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StaticIII

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I'm writing this on behalf of my mother, who is a non-native English speaker, and has simply never had any idea as to what recourse she might have for collecting money my father was court ordered to pay her.

My name is Tamara XXXX, and I am the eldest of the two children from our biologically paternal father, Samir XXXX. Our mother has since remarried.

My father was ordered to pay child support starting in 1985 for my brother and I -- however, he usually never made these payments (even though he *definitely* had and still has the money to), and in the year 1993, he sold his auto upholstery business in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, and moved to:

Samir XXXX
XXXX XXXX ave n
apt 262
XXXXXXXXX XXXX, FL XXXXX

He still does auto work (I believe on the side, so as to avoid having to pay taxes), and collects SSDI (I'm not sure what the time frame is that he has been a recipient these benefits). After traveling to Florida in 2010 to care for him for an entire month after he had a surgery on his eyes for a cataract, he divulged to me that he'd recently won a lawsuit against one of his physicians for over $200,000 -- quickly following that up with a tale about how he'd "sent all of the money to [his brother] in Iraq" -- an alleged act of altruistic generosity that anyone familiar with his miserly personality would never believe for even a second he was capable of. Additionally, he would undoubtedly have tangible proof of sending a sum of money that large...

Anyways, my father abandoned me at the age of 13, and my mother was forced to care for the financial costs of raising two children by herself for the *overwhelming* majority of our lives. My brother was able to track him down in 2006, pleading with him to finally establish a parental relationship after all these years, as well as requesting some kind of help in the form of financial assistance to help alleviate the enormous cost of schooling for BOTH of us -- my father never even bothered to acknowledge my brother's overtures at all.

However, I am convinced to this day that, despite his strategic move to another state in 1993, justice MUST prevail for my mother, my brother, and myself.

There are far too many details to this case than I am able relay here -- but (perhaps) another pertinent fact in this case would be that, while my father has never denied that I am his biological daughter, he *did* level this absurd claim regarding my brother in divorce court. The judge wound up entertaining his absolutely ridiculous demand for a paternity test -- which of course only resulted in definitive *proof* that my brother, Tameer XXXXX XXXX, is in fact FULLY Samir XXXX's biological son.

Yet, in spite of this overwhelming evidence, he continued to deny scientific proof of paternity, and shirked his court ordered duties to support both of his children with total disdain for our country's legal system, as well as the moral obligations any father anywhere should have to his own children.

So, on behalf of my mother specifically, who unfairly was forced to play the role of a father and a mother, who supported us financially all by herself for so long, my questions are what would her options BE in a case like this?

My mother, brother, and myself all reside in Minnesota to this day; and *any* help or legal advice you can offer us would be immensely appreciated.

I sincerely thank you for your time,
Tamara

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I'm writing this on behalf of my mother, who is a non-native English speaker, and has simply never had any idea as to what recourse she might have for collecting money my father was court ordered to pay her.

My name is Tamara XXXX, and I am the eldest of the two children from our biologically paternal father, Samir XXXX. Our mother has since remarried.

My father was ordered to pay child support starting in 1985 for my brother and I -- however, he usually never made these payments (even though he *definitely* had and still has the money to), and in the year 1993, he sold his auto upholstery business in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, and moved to:

Samir XXXX
XXXX XXXX ave n
apt 262
XXXXXXXXX XXXX, FL XXXXX

He still does auto work (I believe on the side, so as to avoid having to pay taxes), and collects SSDI (I'm not sure what the time frame is that he has been a recipient these benefits). After traveling to Florida in 2010 to care for him for an entire month after he had a surgery on his eyes for a cataract, he divulged to me that he'd recently won a lawsuit against one of his physicians for over $200,000 -- quickly following that up with a tale about how he'd "sent all of the money to [his brother] in Iraq" -- an alleged act of altruistic generosity that anyone familiar with his miserly personality would never believe for even a second he was capable of. Additionally, he would undoubtedly have tangible proof of sending a sum of money that large...

Anyways, my father abandoned me at the age of 13, and my mother was forced to care for the financial costs of raising two children by herself for the *overwhelming* majority of our lives. My brother was able to track him down in 2006, pleading with him to finally establish a parental relationship after all these years, as well as requesting some kind of help in the form of financial assistance to help alleviate the enormous cost of schooling for BOTH of us -- my father never even bothered to acknowledge my brother's overtures at all.

However, I am convinced to this day that, despite his strategic move to another state in 1993, justice MUST prevail for my mother, my brother, and myself.

There are far too many details to this case than I am able relay here -- but (perhaps) another pertinent fact in this case would be that, while my father has never denied that I am his biological daughter, he *did* level this absurd claim regarding my brother in divorce court. The judge wound up entertaining his absolutely ridiculous demand for a paternity test -- which of course only resulted in definitive *proof* that my brother, Tameer XXXXX XXXX, is in fact FULLY Samir XXXX's biological son.

Yet, in spite of this overwhelming evidence, he continued to deny scientific proof of paternity, and shirked his court ordered duties to support both of his children with total disdain for our country's legal system, as well as the moral obligations any father anywhere should have to his own children.

So, on behalf of my mother specifically, who unfairly was forced to play the role of a father and a mother, who supported us financially all by herself for so long, my questions are what would her options BE in a case like this?

My mother, brother, and myself all reside in Minnesota to this day; and *any* help or legal advice you can offer us would be immensely appreciated.

I sincerely thank you for your time,
Tamara
Your mother should hire a lawyer in the state of the divorce to pursue child support arrearages and have your father found in contempt.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Mom really should seek the help of a local attorney. She may or may not be successful after all these years.

single317dad

Agreed with the above. CSE is not going to help after all these years of inaction. An (probably expensive) attorney will be needed to wade through the possibilities of SoL expiration or tolling, interstate enforcement, and discovery of undisclosed income.

Good luck to your mother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">