• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father owed 200,000 dollars in back child support but died

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1982

What is the name of your state? Florida

My father owed my mother 200,000 dollars in back child support and he died in 1997 his wife kept it under the radar and put down he had no children and didnt know his mothers name cause then we would know through my grandmother. We found out in 2000 and found out he had a large life insurance policy I tried suing my step-mother but didnt know where she lived but I do now and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get some of this money back. I am now 26 years old.What is the name of your state?

Zephyr

you are not and were not owed that money- this is something for your mother to pursue IF any statute of limitations has not run out by this time

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1) Probably not - it's likely been way too long
2) Probably not - life insurance passes outside of probate to the designated beneficiary. Even if he had died last Tuesday, the life ins. wouldn't be available to you.

kevin1982

So she cant get in trouble for lieing to the social security office saying he had no children when she knew he did?
And my mother cant because she died 3 years ago of a heart attack

kevin1982

And Another thing my mom tried to sue her for the money in 2000 but the lawyer told her she cant sue someone if you dont have their address which we didnt know cause she kept moving her address trying to avoid us.

Zigner

You are after the life insurance money that your step-mother received as a beneficiary. It's not a part of your dad's estate.

Zigner

I suggest you seek counseling. You aren't going to get any money. You likely have anger and resentment issues that YOU need to work through...and chasing down your step mother for something that happened 11 years ago (for which YOU wouldn't have received anything anyway) is not healthy.

kevin1982

Excuse me, I do not need counseling.
I am going to court over this either way he ditched my mother for this scank that drained him for everything he was worth and my mother died of a heart attack cause of a condition she formed when she was working for 3 jobs while we were kids. So yeah Im not gonna drop it until I get a resolution.

Silverplum

This was a wrong idea posting here, thought I would get educated answers instead I get insults
I don't see any insults.

What I do see is a kevin who didn't read any other threads on this topic; and, when rebuffed on his get-rich-quick idea, he felt Wronged By The World, yet again. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Had kevin read other threads on the topic, he would have seen that the answer he got is the same answer given for that subject in any other thread: the correct legal answer.

Gracie3787

So she cant get in trouble for lieing to the social security office saying he had no children when she knew he did?
And my mother cant because she died 3 years ago of a heart attack
I'm sorry, but the others are correct.

IF your mother were still alive, she MIGHT have a case against the wife for lying to SS. Your father died while you were still a minor, so she might have been able to sue for that.
HOWEVER, she could not have sued on the basis of the life insurance because that was not part of your father's estate.

No matter what though, in Florida an adult child CANNOT collect CS arrears, even if the CP is now deceased. There is case law galore in FL that supports that a child does NOT have legal standing to sue for CS arrears, sorry.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Excuse me, I do not need counseling.
I am going to court over this either way he ditched my mother for this scank that drained him for everything he was worth and my mother died of a heart attack cause of a condition she formed when she was working for 3 jobs while we were kids. So yeah Im not gonna drop it until I get a resolution.
Yes you do need counseling. Your father is DEAD. Your mother was owed the money or her estate HOWEVER the estate can no longer collect unless he had an estate worth more than that. If his estate -- that would go through probate -- was worth anything you and your siblings would be entitled to a portion of it. IF it had to go through probate and there was NOT a will that disinherited you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">