• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father owing child support died

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dralan552

Not sure how to explain this... my mother had my brother and I in Indiana (where she met my father)... my father has never payed child support, except for the few checks here and there my mother recieves from the state of Michigan (where we have lived sence i was 2)... I have recently found out that my father has passed away.... Is there anything that my mother can do to get the money that is owed to her? or at least part of it?

thankyou in advance for any advice given

fairisfair

how old are you, in other words, how long ago did you reach the age of majority??

Your mother may be able to attempt suing the estate, if there is one, but quite honestly, it is quite a long shot.

Dralan552

ya i thought it was a longshot.... I am 24 and my brother is 22... I think a good guess on the amount of child support that my mother has received for the two of us is approx. 1300 dollars...

he had no assets that I know of, he was an alcoholic as far as i can remember living with his parrents...

nextwife

ya i thought it was a longshot.... I am 24 and my brother is 22... I think a good guess on the amount of child support that my mother has received for the two of us is approx. 1300 dollars...

he had no assets that I know of, he was an alcoholic as far as i can remember living with his parrents...
That is the bottom line. Even IF there was a court order and a legal arrearage, if there is no estate, there is nothing to collect FROM.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">