• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father required to have health ins. coverage, can't afford, kids already covered...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjclewell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

If the father (non custodial parent) is required to provide health insurance for the children but cannot afford to do so, and the mother (custodial parent) already has CHIP for one child and Medicaid for the other, but the state is still trying to make the father provide health insurance... He applied for CHIP and Medicaid for the children himself, and likely would qualify financially to get them covered, but was denied due to the mother already having them covered. He is currently trying to appeal the court order for exactly that reason, but in the mean time, his employer is required by the state to force him to get the insurance offered by the employer. Between the child support that is already being garnished from his wages, now they are going to take double that to cover insurance as well, will leave him with little to no income left after both.

How can he get the children covered by Medicaid/CHIP which he would qualify to do, if he is being denied because the mom already has them covered. It just doesn't make sense to me. I'm trying to help him figure out what steps to take in the mean time while waiting for the appeal to go through.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

If the father (non custodial parent) is required to provide health insurance for the children but cannot afford to do so, and the mother (custodial parent) already has CHIP for one child and Medicaid for the other, but the state is still trying to make the father provide health insurance... He applied for CHIP and Medicaid for the children himself, and likely would qualify financially to get them covered, but was denied due to the mother already having them covered. He is currently trying to appeal the court order for exactly that reason, but in the mean time, his employer is required by the state to force him to get the insurance offered by the employer. Between the child support that is already being garnished from his wages, now they are going to take double that to cover insurance as well, will leave him with little to no income left after both.

How can he get the children covered by Medicaid/CHIP which he would qualify to do, if he is being denied because the mom already has them covered. It just doesn't make sense to me. I'm trying to help him figure out what steps to take in the mean time while waiting for the appeal to go through.
Please have dad log on to ask his own questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">